“ Fussy Eater”

An agreement this time :+1:
That’s possibly as we think similarly on this one this time. :thinking: :grinning:

Yes, if that’s directed to me Pauline then your are correct, the pen is out and my strict but fair upbringing is quoted. In all honesty I can say that did me no harm, in fact that set me up for life and to showing my own offspring the ‘right way’ in life. :grinning:

2 Likes

I would not call that being a fussy eater, Bratti, just very practical. You have recognised food intolerances and avoid those foods.

3 Likes

I’ll eat practically anything with the exception of Italian food (pasta) I can’t watch anyone put it in their mouth it turns my stomach oh aye and broccli …YUCK

2 Likes

I am fussy, I rarely eat meat and prefer my own food to that of anyone else. My son and grandchildren brought up on BLW (baby led weaning) messy but effective eat anything and everything . I fed my son that way before it had a name.

2 Likes

I wasn’t a fussy eater up to the age of 55, let’s say, nor was my twin brother. But then he had a stroke and was devastated. After a thorough check-up the doctors asked us why we didn’t change our diet for our vessels and liver were obviously in need of it. So we did which makes us a bit fussy about eating meat and anything fatty.
For my daughters it’s part of an urban lifestyle to follow certain dietary trends like eating sugar-free and being a veggie. So when we meet we agree on what should be bought and cooked and they might bring some extra food for themselves. No big deal.

2 Likes

Well, I am not sure, I certainly don’t eat yucky things like green vegetables (except peas) but I don’t think that is being fussy. I tend to avoid vegetables altogether but peas, carrots and corn are acceptable.

2 Likes

I eat most things, I’m the human dustbin :grinning:

4 Likes

I think that the reality, Baz, might be that, having gone through the bad years, we might well have congratulated ourselves on having been able to give our own offspring freedom of choice.

That idea might have come back and bitten our bums?

2 Likes

Yes, possibly to a degree and by way of choice in food that we have today Tedc. Freedom of choice though, in my book, doesn’t mean indulging your offspring, giving them everything they ask for and almost expect. That is what I often see, parents struggling sometimes to enable their offspring ‘to keep up with the Jones’s children’. In some cases youngsters are not seeing the old-fashioned value of having to work for what you get, instead just ask and expect and you will get it. Plus when that is out of fashion you will get the next, latest one. Slightly off topic I know, but that’s where all this leads I reckon.
:grinning:

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t eat a lot of things. When I was growing up, I ate whatever was served, but it made me sick a lot. It was like I was a sickly child. I wasn’t. I just wasn’t able to tolerate some foods. My parents did get me tested for allergies, but those didn’t detect things like lactose intolerance at the time.

Now there are a lot of things I don’t eat, and I feel much better than I did then. So yes, I’m picky about the things that go in my body because I know they can have a bad reaction.

4 Likes

No Baz, not you, I meant Barry has just tagged another one of my topics“ again” I was just teasing Barry,:joy:…I’ve nicknamed him Mr Pen,:joy:

1 Like

In such circumstances, Baz, I very much doubt there will be much actual cooking done - ‘ping’ dinners being the order of the day.

1 Like

I’m all upset now! :sob: After checking to see if Barry had posted and he hadn’t so it was an ‘informed’ assumption that you meant me, hence my comment, same name you see! Not ‘playing’ any more now Pauline, so will go and be more upset off the forum!
:sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Yes, that’s true and something I hadn’t really considered. Possibly there are more and more parents who cannot cook so ‘ping’ dinners are the answer – ‘the microwave generation’ feeding the present youngsters who will grow up not knowing what ‘real’ food is, where it comes from or how to cook it!

All those additives, not a happy outlook for some youngsters is it! :grinning:

1 Like

As young child I ate whatever was put in front of me…As a teenager I would only eat Salad or Meat Pie…sure must have ate other things but really in my mind that was it…
I eat home made only now. I pick good ingredients and avoid any preservatives and additives. By following a fair diet with some health foods added I have improved my health considerabely, mind and soul…
I have a dislike of currys and chinese foods mainly…I eat a med diet and a typical English diet…Fish is rather limited to Cod or fresh Mackeral and Sardines…I have never eaten Salmon for the fact it is Pink looking…
I don’t like offal either slimy and gross…

2 Likes

I suppose I am a fussy eater. I don’t like pig’s trotters for example. Nor sheep’s brain.

Erm, hard one for me to remember really. I think the meals were fine and I ate them all. Before mum was really ill she excelled at baking and roasts and rice puddings, things like that. I loved those - oh dumplings and casseroles too. (swoon).

Certain things were happening at home and looking back, that was round about the time I zoomed in on toast - as much as I could get away with eating instead of a proper meal - which was quite easy as mum was ill by then and dad was working a lot. Sometimes she used to tell me I didn’t deserve to eat any way and if I wanted something to go and eat the grass. :roll_eyes:

My first day in my first job at 16, I didn’t go as I passed out while talking to mum. I was leaning on the wall and slide down it. Fast forward… after the doctor was called he diagnosed anaemia and hypotension.

Fast forward again through the years and toast was always the staple, if in doubt, eat toast, although from the 70s onwards food, especially bread and other foods were a real problem for my guts. They still are, but differently than back then.

Fast forward to my daughter, She was always problematic, even with her bottles. Regular colic, fountains of sick after a bottle. Come weaning time, she used to wretch.
Fast forward to when she was older, ie before primary school. She’d eat something and wretch it back up into the bowl. It was just a nightmare.
Now, at 32, she’s fine. There are still things she can’t/won’t touch either because she doesn’t like them or they make her heave.
Looking back I think her problems with food when growing up probably had something to do with the atmosphere in the house between her dad and myself and our eventual split up.

And, as I’m sure some may already have guessed, I still have a love affair with toast, toast and toast!

Phew. Anyone got a brandy? :joy:

1 Like

I’m not a fussy eater but I don’t try unusual dishes :flushed:

My son and daughter on the other hand are very fussy and nowadays, I usually pander to their requests because I love them and I hardly see my daughter since she’s on her own and my son may soon leave to study but hopefully not to far away from me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My mouth is watering…

Years ago when my kids were teenagers and I was a single parent, the local deli had pigs trotters in. I hadn’t had pigs trotters for years so I bought four to have a good chew on. I ate one and left the other three in the fridge. Later after school had finished my daughter burst into the lounge and said, “I don’t know what those things in the fridge are but they look gross and until they are gone I am not eating another thing in this house”. That was my last adventure with pigs trotters.

Brains and hearts are another matter, love 'em, even my kids will eat hearts.

1 Like

Sounds good to me!

1 Like