Functional gardens - what do you recommend?

Inspired by @PixieKnuckles’s comment:

Any tips for functional gardens? Food is an obvious one, but what about herbs or other plants that can be used for medicinal purposes?

I reckon my ideal garden would be a functional one, but one that smells nice too :lol:

1 Like

I love the smell of Basil, and have a lot of it. Its considered a superfood in terms of health and wellbeing, and even just grabbing a few leaves off the plant to eat raw, really freshens the mouth.

I think in terms of medicinal herbs, anyone trying it has to know what they are doing. This requires huge ongoing knowledge, because some herbs can react badly with regular medications (or vice versa) Plus allergies can be an issue if applying to skin. Plus the law, licensing etc.

( I’ve looked into it in the past and its a bit of a minefield…although if I had the money to fund a course of study, I totally would!)

I’ll just stick with teas :joy:

1 Like

There are loads of good books by well respected people Pixie - a lot cheaper than going on a course too. Though saying that there is quite a famous herbalist called Barbara O’Neil who is going to be speaking at an event in Scotland (might have already passed mind) one of my best friends who lives in Scotland was telling me about it. Edit: just checked my messages and it’s going to be at the Crieff hydro - not sure if that’s near you but might be worth looking into?

Personally I would do/grow whatever I feel is right and so long as I am not hurting anyone or the environment I don’t like govts telling me what I can or can’t do :lol:

1 Like

I just checked that out Azz, and they have an online only ticket option for those that can’t attend in person :+1: Thanks for that!

1 Like