Fracking UK - Updates

Energy firm Cuadrilla has been told it must plug its two shale gas wells on land on the Fylde Coast in Lancashire by the end of next year. The North Sea Transition Authority (NSTA) has issued the order for the site at Preston New Road near Blackpool.

Fracking was banned at the site following concerning tremors in 2019. Cuadrilla had been originally told to cap the wells with concrete by June 2023.

Miranda Cox, from Frack Free Lancashire, described the news as “long overdue”.

“Obviously, we will fully believe it when the last piece of equipment and every last grain of silica sand has been removed, but we think this really means there are no more excuses,” she said. “Cuadrilla has been the bane of our lives for over a decade. The stress and ramifications of their failed fracking attempts will never be forgotten nor forgiven.”

The well was drilled but never fracked - leaving the site owners, Third Energy, with a deep hole in the ground.

Tom Heap with Steve Mason and Russell Hoare at the once highly-contested proposed fracking site
Its managing director, Russell Hoare, showed me the well and explained its second life. They are even re-using the two metre-high gas valve which caps the hole.

“This is the actual well that was drilled for fracking and it’s about 3,000 metres deep, but the protesters were successful, and Steve was successful, in stopping that operation. But it’s perfect for testing geothermal energy. There’s hot water at the bottom. All we’re doing is bringing it to the surface.”

Cuadrilla drag their feet but Third Energy pull their finger out … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s brilliant Omah. I’ve always wondered why we can’t tap into the geothermal energy below ground. I know it’s deep, but it’s less damaging and less polluting than many other methods, and after an initial layout of cash, it’s free.

1 Like