Foxy on Tour

OGF
we are going with Viking cruise line on one of their long ships doing 4 countries in 15 days . Flying with them to Amsterdam first .

DAY 1 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
DAY 2 Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
DAY 3 Cologne, Germany
DAY 4 Koblenz, Germany
DAY 5 Miltenberg, Germany
DAY 6 Würzburg, Germany
DAY 7 Bamberg, Germany
DAY 8 Nuremberg, Germany
DAY 9 Regensburg, Germany
DAY 10 Passau, Germany
DAY 11 Melk, Austria
DAY 12 Vienna, Austria
DAY 13 Vienna, Austria
DAY 14 Budapest, Hungary
DAY 15 Budapest, Hungary

fly back from Budapest

It sounds more than likely it was the red wine Bob … does that mean no more red wine for you? :wink:

What a lovely photo of you both, Bob… you could pass as my bank manager there, except you look a lot more cheerful than him. :wink:

Oh very nice. Hope the weather is nice there. Are you wearing your signature khaki shorts?:wink:

Thanks d00d, I’m back home now…:frowning:
I had the shorts on but they were under the table…:smiley:

It’s funny you should say that though, it reminds me of my friend across the road. He gives online tutoring sessions on skype to aspiring poker players. White shirt, bowtie and jacket but below the table he only has on his under wangers and slippers…:blush:

Wow, that looks amazing realspeed…:cool:

Every port a tour included. We also added on some trips to fill 3 of the days as extras

Let’s see…cigarette butts, sore toe, red wine, Amsterdam, lovely dinners, and most handsome couple (good heavens, look at you in that tuxb:cool:), and ringing in the New Year.

Is about the summary of it, OGF?

It’s ever a joy to travel along even if it is long past. Thank you for the photos and write-ups, OGF. It’s a pleasure to read.

Thanks Surfermom and yes that about sums it up nicely…Oh but did I mention the machine at Blankenberge station that confiscated my debit card?

The thing is…When I was 14 years old I came to Blankenberge on a school holiday for a week. While swimming in the sea I was stung by a ‘Portuguese Man O War’ (A bit like a jellyfish but meaner and more deadly) I had to be visited by a doctor and it put me in bed for two days with excruciating pain, the worse pain I have ever endured since.

So what have I learned from this New Year Cruise…?
The ship was too small and mealtimes were a nightmare…
We spent two days anchored up in Amsterdam…Boring!
I never got to use my dancing shoes…
Cruising is rubbish in the winter…
And if God were to give the world an enema, Amsterdam and Zeebruges would be where the tube would be inserted…

Just curious as why you felt the ship was too small and why mealtimes were a nightmare.

I have only been on one cruise and the one thing I wouldn’t complain about was the food and dining room service. So interested in your comments.

Well, OGF, it’s always an adventure, so there’s that!

One time I was out surfing when a flotilla of Portuguese man o’wars surrounded my while I was in the surfing lineup. I paddled in like I was in a minefield. I am sure you are still wincing just thinking about your sting.

I’m also wondering why you didn’t like the small ship. How small was it?

Thanks Surfermom and Bruce.
The Arcadia weighed in at 83,781 tons and was commissioned in 2005, so not actually a small ship. The food was exemplary, as usual on a P&O ship, and service in the evening dining restaurant was perfect. However, in the cafeteria type restaurant on the upper deck was impossible. The first half an hour was spent searching for an unoccupied table. There didn’t appear to be the organisation that we have enjoyed on other P&O ships. So 2094 guests wandered around trying to find Tables, trays, cutlery and various breakfast items. One way systems operated on other ships with everything in order. ie. Handwash, trays and cutlery followed by serial and cooked breakfast items worked to perfection.

There seemed to be too many guests using the facilities. It was so bad that after the first three days we would go down to the lower restaurant to be seated and served, where incidentally, there was still a queue. On a summer cruise we usually avoid the main dining area for breakfast because you are not allowed in wearing unsuitable clothing, shorts and tee shirts etc, but in winter it’s too cold for them so no problem.

Which reminds me of another thing that contributes to the congestion, A lot of passengers take breakfast outside on the decks, but these outside spaces are empty during the winter. The girls complained about the lack of shops onboard, and there was only one decent sized theatre, most other places were little more than large pubs. On sea days or bad weather days, everyone is confined to the interior of the ship which I suppose makes it seem more crowded in winter, unlike the summer where most guests are sunbathing, relaxing or swimming outside.

I did enjoy the cruise, but it will be my last winter one unless it’s a world cruise down to Australia, and Amsterdam and Zeebruges will definitely be avoided in future.

Aha! The weather explains the less than optimal dining situation. I know that you and others have had very positive experiences on P&O, and I expect that the weather was to blame. You might want to take a peek at Azamara, which I highly recommend. The balconies offer full-sized dining tables on the balconies, and with room service provided, it cut down on the number of people in the restaurants. Breakfast on the balcony was thoroughly relaxing, and I can imagine that it would be enjoyable even on a frosty morning.

I’m glad you liked Azamara SM they are my favourite too.

Foxy it’s a shame it was such a disaster I know you were really looking forward to it…I hope Mrs Foxy is ok and the condition isn’t too serious.

They look wonderful Surfermom, I’ve just had a look around their website.
Trouble is we don’t like to fly. Not that we don’t like flying, but having flew out to meet a ship in the Caribbean last year for a two week cruise, we found the weight restriction limiting, and it was so tiring flying to Barbados and then having to tour the next day before we even had time to unpack.

We like to sail Southampton to Southampton…A nice steady drive down the day before, and an overnight stay before we meet the ship next day.
We enjoy the visit to Southampton so much that next time we will stay for two nights and visit the city properly. And the drive down (250 miles) reminds me of my courier days…:wink:

Not so much a disaster Summer as a learning curve…:cool:
We still enjoyed the cruise and the company of our daughter and hubby. But Winter cruises will not be on the agenda in future unless it’s part of a world cruise…:smiley:

Mrs Fox will be having a serious operation tomorrow Summer, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that it goes okay…

Summer, I recall your approval of the line before we sailed. As I suspected ahead of time, it has ruined me when it comes to other larger ship travel.

I will have to live on rice for a while so as to book another :-D.

Foxy, l am so Sorry for my late arrival to the last part of your thread. What a time you had, after it started out ok.
I was sorry to read about your gout. I know people who’ve had that and they’ve been in agony.
I hope your wife is ok.

After almost a fortnight in hospital and a four hour operation last Wednesday, she has been recovering well and I brought her home yesterday Arty…:smiley:

Could hardly walk when the gout was at its worse Arty, I even missed a couple of runs, surprisingly though, although its still painful to walk on I can manage to run on it…:cool:

Foxy, First of all, l am pleased your wife is ok. It sounds as if she’s been through a lot lately.

As for your gout. Did you join the ‘Ministry Of Funny Walks’, or you walked like the man, who used to say, ‘Mr Dillon’ in the cowboy series? :slight_smile:
I’m not trying to be horrid, as l know it’s a very painful condition but l thought it would make you laugh.

You succeeded Arty…:043::043::043: