Forager's Thread

What ive picked from the hedgerow this afternoon,

7 Likes

I have Bramble envy :joy:

They look so juicy!

1 Like

Those look good Eliza. Love the berries!

1 Like

Oooh - may I be your official taster?

1 Like

Some can be poisonous - some can seriously mess up any medication you are taking!

Just pasting a link to a similar thread :grinning:

2 Likes

You certainly may :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are classed as noxious weed here and any growing wild are sprayed by the council.Unfortunately someone in our house didn’t think of mentioning it for a few years.

i have the book Food fo Free by richard Mabey had it for a few year now , its a pocket size that can be carried around ,

2 Likes

What is a noxious weed? Brambles or nettles? I don’t see how either can be described as noxious :frowning_face: Hogweed, yes…but not these.

Ditto,
It’s a nice little compact volume to carry around.

1 Like

Sounds good - I might get that! My books are all a bit larger than pocketsize. A recent one I bought is called “Edible and Medicinal Wild Plants of Britain and Ireland” by Robin Harford. It’s interesting info, no pics though so its not like you could take it with you and compare what you find with what’s in the book.

1 Like

Doh! I wouldn’t eat nettles!This is the offical opinion.
Blackberry impacts the environment and agriculture . Blackberry forms dense thickets that exclude native species, leading to its complete dominance of the vegetation understorey and eventually the canopy

Not that I agree with it.

1 Like

I’m glad you don’t agree with it :+1: My large spidery dense blackberry bush is a haven for all manner of little creatures, so I won’t be cutting it totally down. Plus it has wild roses growing through it, which were so pretty when they bloomed.

However, I can see how it can take over a place, I’m finding random branches winding up my pipes. :scream:

1 Like

Blackberry picking again today!
It’s quite late in the year but I’m going to attempt cutting and processing bramble fibres and dry them for wetting and twisting into cordage at a later date.
There’s a lady on you tube, Sally Pointer who’s posted a few interesting videos including making cordage.

I’ve never tried this before but it’s worth a go.

1 Like

The crab apples are beginning to ripen as are the haws although it doesn’t look like a bumper crop this year, probably due to the dry weather.

I’m not anticipating much of a fungi season either more’s the pity!

2 Likes

Lots of Rowan Berries as well!

2 Likes

It will soon be Mushroom gathering time - if they have survived the drought - I love Shaggy Inkcaps!

2 Likes

Blackberries here soon I hope,I see a few have ripened, in the field near my house, depending how much I harvest, I would like to make a blackberry and apple pie.

1 Like

I can remember my Dad many years ago went mushroom picking…I’d be worried I picked the poisonous ones, how can you tell the difference,ST?.:slightly_smiling_face: