Flystrike Warning

I thought this was more of a horse complaint, Cinders? The poor devils left outside in it all the time.
I assume cattle are another likely canditate, but I am surprised about domestic pets as they should not be left out in it in the first place, especially with dirty bums!

1 Like

I saw a fly strike photo recently at the vets …

Any animal that hasn’t been kept clean around the derriere
can fall prey to eek maggots!
I’m feeling queasy now just thinking about it

That’s why rabbits are at greater risk, if their hutches are not cleaned and cleared daily.

1 Like

Yes, I suppose you’ve got a point there, Ripple.

In and around my county, its mainly the sheep that are likely to suffer from the greenbottle strike, so the shepherd tends to clip around their rear exits to help prevent a strike.

2 Likes

Yes, thast is true, LD. I had forgotten about the poor old sheep and their woolly bums.

1 Like

A quaint insulting expression I quickly learned when first arriving in oz was - oh he’s just a dag or you’re a dag - the dag is wot you have spoke off behind the sheep which gets mattered and needs to be removed often unfortunately cruelly?

1 Like

Googled this, appreciate you not going into detail how it is removed.

Dagging, as I remember, meant cleaning the clodd bits of dried poo off a sheeps rear end.

Many years ago when I used to help an old sheep farmer out. Occasionally one of the sheared fleeces I rolled would be maggoty. Horrible.
I think some dips were banned a few years back, after they decided breathing it in was harmful to the farmers - don’t matter about the poor sheep being thrown in the middle of it!