Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Tracks

Ginger Baker?

No my mistake lads. He’s American :cool:

Um…the only American I can think of is Gene Krupa but he was more jazz than rock…um…thinks…

Same with Buddy Rich.

Er…any comments about today’s tunes guys? :slight_smile:

Keep guessing about the drummer.

i’m going to investigate Christ,the Album.Sounds interesting and new to me.
As an old ska-ite I was pleased to see it getting popular again in the 70’80s.

The drummer can’t be Mo from the Velvets 'cos he’s a she.

still thinking…

Crass were very hardcore punk, PS. I don’t know if you’d like it tbh - but I don’t know your tastes in that area, so maybe you would? :confused: Their singles were better than the albums tbh. Bloody Revolutions from 1980 was another good record. If you look into the net at their artwork, it’s superb.

No mate, not Mo Tucker. Think surf twang…:cool:

Dennis Wilson, of the Beach Boys?

It’s the twang that’s got me stumped.I can only think of Dick Dale but his drums looked like a guitar.

Three to start the day with and your elusive drummer was…and we’ll dedicate this to Ginger Baker, who would no doubt have been influenced himself by this song amongst others. Quite ironic really.

No.970: “Let There Be Drums” by Sandy Nelson I[/I]
I love the enormously addictive beat, the “surf” guitar (played by Richard Podolor – who perhaps should have been more famous?) is reminiscent of those early sixties hits from The Ventures and Surfaris.

No.969: “Hold On! I’m Coming” by Sam & Dave I[/I]
Into the Atlantic soul scene with one of this duo’s biggest songs, following their international smash ‘Soul Man’. This was made more popular for its use by The Blues Brothers in the 1980 film.

No.968: “Paper Sun” by Traffic I[/I]
Steve Winwood, Dave Mason, Jim Capaldi with their slice of hippie heaven from 1967. Winwood of course went on to form Blind Faith with Eric Clapton and of course, Ginger Baker. Great single.

It’s been quite spooky how Baker has connections with two of these songs I’ve posted today after he passed on yesterday.

More later.

I love that sound. I know that music well although I didn’t know it was Sandy Nelson. Reminds me of Scarlet O’Hara by Jet Harris & Tony Meehan.

I don’t know that one bud but I’ll take a look.

Few more songs in a mo…

No.967: “Polaroid” by Richmond Fontaine I[/I]
Richmond Fontaine were a four-piece from Portland, Oregon who were a big part of the Americana scene in the 1990’s-2000’s, a form of music which was based on crossover folk/blues/country with a strong emphasis on the lyrics. Lead singer Willy Vlautin (who I have met after a gig) is now a commended novelist. This song, Polaroid, is typical of their laid-back sound.

No.966: “Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain” by Willie Nelson I[/I]
The great Willie Nelson, now 86, is just about the sole surviving country legend of the old guard. This beautiful song is from his Red Headed Stranger album.

No.965: “Georgia On My Mind”
by Michael Bolton I[/I]
In the late 1980’s Michael Bolton and his permed mullet could do no wrong. A staple of MOR soft rock radio, this is from his massive-selling album Soul Provider album which included his breakthrough monster ‘How Am I Supposed To Live Without You’? I believe this version of “Georgia…” to the original by Ray Charles. Bolton’s amazingly powerful vocals are terrific.

No.964: “Long Time Man” by Tim Rose I[/I]
Country singer Tim Rose and his 6-minute epic ballad detailing a man who is very down on his luck. All a country and western song needs to be.

Next time we’re gonna be cranking things up a bit.

Yes,me too.
I thought it was used as a theme tune but can’t find any reference to that.

atlantic grand prix wrestling :017:

This thread is a complete waste of time if nobody is interested.

No.965: “Georgia On My Mind” by Michael Bolton

I think that song shows his voice at it’s best. An amazing range he has there. as you say, he was a bit of a heart throb back in the day with his big hair and power ballads. Good choice Floydy.

He really does put everything into that song as if it was recorded in one take.

Not having a go at you and the couple of posters who do pop in here mate at all but it takes me at least half an hour to edit each batch of songs with the text, video posting, typesetting and so on.
Fair enough, members can post where they want on the forum but this isn’t some narcissistic bloke showing off his y-fronts to flirt with the old ladies, it’s an in-depth project that is going to time and effort.
Thanks for contributing mate. I probably need some time away from the forum to be perfectly honest.

No problem Floydy.

Just pick it up again when you are ready.

I think your musical knowledge is greater than almost everyone on here bud (certainly mine), a lot of the songs you post, I have never heard of so I find it a bit difficult to comment sometimes. I think I must have been more on the commercial side of things.

:cool::cool:

Floydy, I don’t think there are many people on OFF with an interest in this kind of thing. Brexit & far right tabloid hate, is far more popular. I find your chosen tracks quite fascinating, varied & obscure :wink: I’m following it, but the majority, so far, are alien to me. I’m looking forward seeing what’s higher up the charts. :smiley:

And I was serious about atlantic grand prix wrestling.