Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.992: “Mirror Moves” by The Psychedelic Furs (1984)

The Psychedelic Furs were one of the fringe fashion bands of the early 1980’s who didn’t really make it big, despite some great songs. This is the first album which features in my list. Second single from this album, ‘Heartbeat’:

Last one from me today, giving you a chance to catch up…
No.991: “Watch” by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band (1978)

South African legendary keyboard player Manfred Mann with his 70’s band. A big hit single from that album:

Ah Pete Brown, i see wee have some overlaps in taste.I have The Art School Dance goes on Forever, with Piblocto. He hung around with good company.

Great to see a fellow connoisseur of the arty stuff, Nom. I have that other album as well, though it didn’t quite make this list.
Ten years ago I came across a big series of DVDs at a car boot sale (before they were banned) which contained around two dozen rare and long lost albums on each DVD. The 1960’s series was called “Trippin’ Through The 60’s” and the 70’s series under the title “Electric Soup”. I must have bought about 80 of these discs which opened my eyes to a massive array of unheard music. Quite a few became favourites and this Pete Brown album is just the first of them in this list.

Another quick note to mention that I haven’t included compilation albums in my list. That is, no various artists collections or “best of’s” by regular acts. This would just be like including a load of singles and great albums can’t be judged by hits.

However, I have included live releases and also a number of film soundtracks - the first of which will make its appearance next.

I remember this song. Davy’s on the road again.
I liked the Manfred Mann band, but earlier when Paul Jones was in it. That dates me somewhat.

Paul Jones in the original band was a leading force in the early British rhythm & blues scene. Manfred Mann made some classics, didn’t they Tiffany?

The band ventured unsuccessfully into progressive rock for a short while with two albums under the name ‘Chapter III’, but found their feet again with some 70’s pop-rock similar to Wings or 10CC with Davy’s On The Road Again and earlier hits such as Joybringer and Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Blinded By The Light’. Yep, good band. :slight_smile:

No.990: “The Blues Brothers” (original soundtrack, 1980)

Just one entry today and it’s the first soundtrack album in my list and it’s a corker of a record. A classic movie, the album isn’t just a ‘various artists greatest hits’ collection - as I wouldn’t have included it - as most of the songs are performed by The Blues Brothers, namely Dan Ackroyd and the late John Belushi, with other soul stars such as Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles.
Here’s an old Rolling Stones number, probably the most popular Blues Brothers song:

There was a Blues Brothers group here, a tribute act & they were very good.
Saw them a few times at gigs.

Ha! Yes it’s like the Elvis acts isn’t it?
A pair of shades and in the Blues Brothers case, a couple of black hats. Oh, and if they can sing and dance too, they’ve got their act together!

Wasn’t keen on them when Paul left though.

You forgot the suits, the ones I saw had all the gear & the moves.:lol:

There you go, Nom…
No.989: “Every Valley” by Public Service Broadcasting (2017)

Bang up to date with this one from last year. The third album from one of Britain’s most innovative and experimental new bands. They use, as their name suggests, old narrative broadcasts as their background dialogue to place over their electronic ‘dance’ music.
All three of their albums feature in my list. here’s the original trailer for this, their third release:

No.988: “Alice’s Restaurant” by Arlo Guthrie (1967)

The son of folk music pioneer, Woody Guthrie released this album (and film) during the hippy-dippy era of 1967. It’s basically the narrator people-watching the comings and goings in a New York eaterie.
If you have 15 minutes to spare, this excerpt is quite an interesting and clever observation:

No.987: “Scarlet And Other Stories” by All About Eve (1988)

A kind of gothic progressive rock version of something Kate Bush may do if her music was of a heavier style, All About Eve released some fine music in their time. This is a superb conceptual album. A single from this was ‘December’.

No.986: “Windy City” by Alison Krauss (2017)

Multi Grammy winner Alison Krauss returned last year with a very special album featuring songs performed in her native country-style vein but included a handful of classic covers too. A really well-produced album. here’s the title track;

No.985: “The Visit” by Bob Smith (1970)

1484559645-5136.jpeg.jpg
A little-known songwriter is the same vein as Donovan, Al Stewart or Clifford T. Ward. Whimsical, dreamy and very mellow, this album should have made it big. Instead it virtually sank without trace.

^ Oops!!
:102:No album image. Same as YT vid screen, so all’s not lost!:102:

No.984: Majicat - The Earth Tour by Cat Stevens (1974)

Cat Stevens (or simply ‘Yusuf’ as he now chooses to call himself) on one of his most renowned tours. This is my favourite Cat Stevens track from that album:

No.983: “It’s A Beautiful Day” by It’s A Beautiful Day (1969)

A rather strange band name but an act who nevertheless made some quite beautiful music. The track ‘White Bird’ (featured below) is quite simply a lost gem.

Thats a classic cover, and long time since i heard this.