Fish pond - went to top it up... but fell asleep!

No shots fired, Dexter!
I appreciate all and any advice.
To be honest, though, everything was (and probably still is) happy and the fact that the three original fish multiplied into twelve I think is testament to that.

I was just a little worried after my stupid mistake, but things still seem to be OK.

Thanks again.

Always glad to share experiences JBR.

You know your pond pump, does it do what mine does and go like the clappers for about 10 seconds and then stop for a break while it pumps out the tank?

For some reason, it reminds me of the Morecambe and Wise breakfast sketch when Ernie whisks the eggs.:lol::lol:

No, it runs continuously.
The water is pumped out from the bottom of the pond, up into a unit containing four circular filters surrounding a UV lamp, through the filters and out to a stone frog(?) which spits the water out in a fountain into the pond.

When I think on, I clear the build-up of debris on the outside of the filters by raising a couple of ‘wipers’ internally on either side of the filters after turning a tap to divert the water out of the container and on to the garden.

Once a year, I open the thing up to replace the UV lamp and give it a clean out, but not too much as it’s good to keep some of the good bacteria, etc, in there.

Deepest apologies JBR, I was asking about your pond vac in my previous post.

Think I understand your filter system. The fact that it pumps water from the bottom will aim that lower level circulation I referred to.

In my setup, the water to the pump comes from a surface skimmer which, by definition, is at water level.

Then into a folder box like yours and into a metal blade thing like these https://www.primrose.co.uk/arc-stainless-steel-sheer-descent-blade-cascades-c-1_10713_10831.html

My pond all sounds very grand, but it’s not really. About 3m by 1.2m partly raised rectangular, 90cm deep with a shelf around 30cm from surface.

Here’s a piccie of when we first installed it a few years ago. Everything’s grown since then, so it’s not quite s crisp!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44SC6T5RkREn4r7o6

Oh, I’m sorry I misunderstood.

The pond vac is pretty much just a long pipe with an electric pump in one end. The pond water comes out of a flexible hose which can be laid wherever we want the water to go.

I was going to go out to the shed earlier to take a photograph of it for you, but it has been absolutely bucketing down all day and I don’t like getting wet!

Yes, we seem to have quite different pond recirculation systems. I shouldn’t like to say which is the best idea, not being an expert in such matters, but as long as the water is clean and aerated I suppose that’s all that matters.

Our pond is oval shaped, about 9’ long and 6’ wide at the longest/widest points. I think it must be between 1 1/2 and 2 feet deep, but there are shelves at each end. It’s mostly under the ground surface, but the edges are raised on 2 or 3 courses of bricks. Lined with rubber.
I can’t claim any pride in creating it: it was there when we moved in, but without any filtration at the time it was dark, soupy and lifeless!

It looks very smart, and with nice pond plants too.

Any fish in there?

Yep. Some Koi which I’ll probably have to sell or donate when they start to get too big in a few years. They’ve been keeping themselves hidden of late and don;t come to the surface like they used to so I could watch them eat.

Some predators might have got some of them, as I don’t really keep count.

Hasn’t it just!!

Here’s a picture of the pond vac thing in our shed, where it has been living for some considerable time.
I sincerely hope that this doesn’t get back to Marge!
(Sorry, it has turned itself 90 degrees anticlockwise, as it always seems to do.)
I sincerely hope that your shed is equally untidy!

Wish my pond vac was one of those!!

My vac looks like a Henry Hoover. Would send a piccie, but weve lent it to a friend.

As a complete aside JBR, have you ever visited Primrose Garden centre in Styal? Small, independent company, totally unrelated to the big online company with the same name. No pond stuff in it though. We came across it a few weeks ago whilst out on a bit of a random drive. Has got a webpage if you want to look it up. Might be worth a nosey if you’re ever out and about.

Sorry not to reply sooner, but I don’t seem to be receiving notifications now of responses to my posts. God knows why. Azz thinks it may be the fault of Gmail, but I can find no way of contacting them.

I think I know the place you mean, on the airport road. I haven’t seen any pond stuff there, though, not when we last went anyway.

That looks lovely Dex. I like the waterfall too.

We have man made 2 small ponds here. No.1 was built with a waterfall and shop purchased moulded liner
rocks cover the edges and plants were added from the start. Lily Pads,Marsh Marigolds,Water Iris’s, and a Snake look plant
cant remember the name. Three goldfishes
two got taken so we added a model Heron
Since then about 3 years Lonesome has been ok we think
Quite friendly for a fish actually.
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/gg574/diannew4/Pond_no_1.jpg?width=285&height=175&crop=fill

Pond No 2. Wooden Pond with plastic liner joined by side raised beds
has a man made fountain and pump that the filter is washed out regularly
lots of fish
started with about 12 tiddler goldfishes but over the 5/6 years now guessing as loads come up at foodtime
say 30+ different sizes and more just been made as a lot of frisky action in the Iris’s of late
Green Water
always though
only can think too many fish
 https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/gg574/diannew4/thumbnail_018(2).jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill
Length is approx 2 metres by 80cms and deoth 80cms

Any other suggestions, as the water is as clear as mud
You cannot see any of the fish unless they surface
tis a shame not to see the fishes

I set up a model heron a while ago now and although herons still visit from time to time, they now give it a wide berth.

I shouldn’t rely solely on a model heron, though. I have also covered our pond with a net. If you buy a black one, it becomes fairly invisible depending on what’s beneath it.

As for your ‘clear as mud’ water, you need a pump and filter, and preferably a fountain as well to help aerate the water as well as clean it.
They cost a bob or two, but we’ve had ours for years and it’s still going strong, and it only uses as much electrickery as a small light bulb.

But did state all that :lol:
got the full works going in the Green Pond
Another thing is, the clear one is open to all day sunshine
the Green one is in half Sun and half Shade
the only link to me is the amount of fishes

Yes, my apologies, you did.
I can’t imagine why one pond has poorer water quality than the other yet has the benefit of filtration.
I doubt it would be anything to do with the fish, though.

Really
they cause a lot of waste though

It did indeed used to by on Ringway, but they had to move when the road was being re-built. They’re in a nice little setting. But they don’t have pond stuff.

Always nice to buy stuff from small independents and their prices are competitive.

Thanks Longdogs.

If I had my time again, I’d love to get rid of the lawn and build a swimming pond. Not a swimming pool wiith chemicals in it, but a pond deep enough to swim in, with plants and fish in it.