False teeth and dental health

You are very supportive, and comical with it. As I said, my first appointment with a dentist was when I was about 23 for my first filling, so I haven’t gone through the rigours of dental treatment as such so I’ve been lucky.

Thanks for the info though. My mum used to soak her dentures in bleach overnight and they were always sparkly and white! :mrgreen: She had all of hers out quite young. I remember when I was little, about six years old, so she’d have been about 36 and it was a horrible sight for a child to see! :mrgreen:

Thing is, once they’re in, I don’t want to have to take them out again, but I know I’ll have to, and that bothers me.

Despite your support and advice, I’m still a bit scared, but I will do it. I will, because I have to. Thanks, Lorraine. :smiley:

Hi Mollie! We are all scared, especially of the “unknown”! Yes, we do have to remove them for cleaning. However, ask your dentist if it is safe to sleep with them in if you would feel happier doing that. Think of it a bit like wearing a bra all day, then taking it off to shower and put on night clothes, ahhh bliss!! lol!! It does the job, makes you look good, feels comfortable, don’t notice it in place, but it is nice to take it off! Know what I mean?
You sound like a strong natured lady, you will be alright with this! It is scary with all the thoughts of what if, how much pain, will I look like a shrivelled hag, and yes, those memories of our parents and their falsies!
My Mum had some gum disease, sounded like pyromania but of course that is to do with fire, but some horrid thing that meant her teeth were unstable and I think I was in early teens when she had them all out. Then my Dad as well. Those memories of childhood horror unfortunately stick with us and come back to haunt us, when we wish to goodness we had selective altzheimers lol!! Ask away, if I can answer I will gladly do so, I am sure as others awake across the world, they will pop in and offer support and encouragement! Don’t use bleach though, the modern dentures are made of synthetic materials which do not take kindly to bleach. You will be amazed at how they colour match the teeth to suit your existing ones, they will be similar shape configuration as your natural teeth and you really will feel very confident! You will be happy to smile and laugh without embarrassment!
cheers!

hope all goes well mollie with your teeth
have you got a date yet
will you take a few days of work to help them heal up
it is scarry the unkown I should no after my open heart sugary

Mollie, my late partner had very bad teeth and very few left so he had them taken out and got dentures but they cost £1300 so be prepared for the cost. Its not cheap even on the NHS cos they have to be made at the lab.

owch expensiff

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I’m now all the more determined to have this work carried out. Can’t remember if I’ve said, but it will cost £208 on NHS so The Dog Lover’s hubby must have had a private dentist.

Some of the previous posts have been very positive for me, and have even given me a few laughs, but I still need that last kick up the jacksy to go ahead, as I am feared of what may happen.

Lorraine (Miki’s Mum) has given me a good insight as to what can happen.

I am by no means wealthy, and £200 is a lot of money for me, but I can now afford it so, if anyone else has had this done, please give me all the information you can and what your experiences are. I want to be able to smile again, like this. :smiley:

Thanks folks.

Here’s that last kick for you, Mollie :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Catsey%20graphic/2.gif

Go make that appointment!

that’s it you tell her Mags :):slight_smile:

I have had false teeth since I was 15 (top plate) and have very rarely had problems, but you will need to get them done before the end of March when the prices go up again

youlooks great there mollie love the outfit two :wink: I could were that

Mollie, have you thought about making that appointment before the prices go up?

Thank you Mags. I have been procrastinating about this because I’m terrified but, now is the time when I must do something and very soon.

Thanks for letting me know. :frowning:

Yes Mollie you really should start the ball rolling, you’ll only regret it if you don’t and it will all be worth it in the end :slight_smile:

But I’m genuinely scared witless, Marian, honestly I am. Don’t for one moment think that this hasn’t been constantly on my mind for months now, weighing up the pros and cons. I really do need a boot up the backside.

Thanks for bringing this up again Mags. I’m just so scared. :frowning:

Have you read this link, Mollie? http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/Fearofthedentist.aspx#tips

There is help out there for people who fear the dentist like you do. Dentists are so advanced these days and any pain can be controlled. They can give you intravenous sedation now, through your hand or arm. This doesn’t put you to sleep but calms and relaxes you. Explain to your dentist on your first visit and he will tell you what can be done to help you.

It’s better to go now than wait for a very painful toothache, maybe one evening, then have to bear it until morning until you can get treatment.

The last phobia I have with dentists is extractions. When its time for me to have one, I pay the money to a private dentist and have IV sedation. I can vouch for how good it is, one pinch in the back of the hand, count to ten and three hours have suddenly gone, along with tooth. Last time I had it, it was about £240. If you go IV with the NHS, it will cost around £45, but you will have a very long wait. These days, being put to sleep at the dentists is a thing of the past. If you feel thats the way to go, you will need to be referred to a hospital clinic who can do this.

Alternatively, you can ask your dentist to prescribe a short course of Termazepam, which is a mild sedative and will help slow you down and relax you a little. Usually you get 3 x 10mg tablets, one to take before bedtime the night before, one in the morning on day of surgery and another just before you go in. You will need to be accompanied on the day as these drugs can be stong. If you can’t get to the dentist, contact your GP who may be able to help

Thanks again folks, but I must have given the wrong impression as I have no fear of a dentist at all and I trust mine implicitly.

My fear is living with false teeth, and fearing that if I laugh they’ll drop down, fall out when talking, or cause some other embarrassing moment.

Also, there could be excessive blood because I’m on blood thinning medication.

Would I be able to drive myself home afterwards? Well, I suppose my dentist will advise me on that.

Not sure about the sedatives, Graham, because they may interfere with my blood pressure pills and statin. Oh heck, there is so much I don’t know.

Mags didn’t mention when the cost of this sort of treatment will increase but, to tell the honest truth, I’m having trouble eating now and saying certain words, so it’s not good. :frowning:

I really do appreciate the feed-back and support I’ve been given, but I’m sick and weary of holding my hand to my mouth when I speak, or looking down at the floor when I do so. 'Tis time to make changes.

[B]My fear is living with false teeth, and fearing that if I laugh they’ll drop down, fall out when talking, or cause some other embarrassing moment.

Also, there could be excessive blood because I’m on blood thinning medication.[/B]

Mollie false teeth don’t fall out when you laugh or talk, if they did then nobody would wear them. My mum’s had them for many many years and has never had a problem. I’ve also known other people over the years who have them with no problems.

Phone your dentist this week :):slight_smile:

Thanks once again, Marian. I have memories from when I was younger of talking to “old” people whose teeth dropped down when talking, so I’m probably worried for nothing.

I promise I will ring to make an appointment on Monday to have another chat with my dentist and tell him to make arrangements. I promise. :wink:

Great Mollie, if you don’t we’ll all be on at you.:smiley:

I have a feeling that your gums shrink (not sure if that’s the right terminology) as you get older so you may need to go back at intervals to have them refitted, but obviously your dentist will talk to you about that. I would also ask him about possible bleeding!

Let us know how you get on :-D:-D