Fairy's new 'improved scent' washing up liquid is vile!

You are not alone:

HarmonyHedges Wed 17-Mar-21 22:25:46

I just opened a new bottle of “Fairy Classic” washing up liquid and the stench almost blew my head off. It smells like someone vomited up a tin of fruit cocktail.

Then I noticed… “New improved scent” tag on the front. It’s disgusting!

Please someone tell me what I can purchase that smells like the old Fairy, or at least doesn’t smell of rotting fruit.

Luckily, I get my washing up liquid from a discount store, which tends to stock end-of-lines, exports/imports and other items which have “fallen off a lorry”, so I don’t think I’ll be enjoying the “new, improved scent” just yet … :grin:

2 Likes

I’m so glad it’s not just me :043:

1 Like

Fairy do:

Fairy Naturals Pure & Clean Washing Up Liquid 625ml

Fairy Pure & Clean washing up liquid offers you the original cleaning power of Fairy for your dishes but does not include any perfumes or dyes. The formula is dermatologically approved by Skin Health Alliance.

I haven’t tried it but I might look for it now … :eyes:

2 Likes

@Azz I agree the new scent is horrible, I now look for the green Fairy one without the little red ‘New Scent’ lable.

The smelly one was ok for squishing blackfly on the runner beans :icon_cool:

2 Likes

Well we never buy Fairy here because Mr B says it’s nothing like as good as it was back in the day; what little lather it manages seems to disappear after washing 2 or 3 items. The one he likes best (he does most of the washing up!) is Aldi’s Magnum.

I do agree, Azz, about adding all these scents and perfumes to washing up liquid, though I honestly have never noticed any lingering smell on dishes etc.

1 Like

Talking of scents, and a slight deviation if I may, I buy Faith in Nature toiletries as they don’t contains SLSs or parabens. In shampoo, conditioner and body wash they do coconut, orange and grapefruit (divine!!!), lavender and geranium, aloe vera, and aloe vera and tea tree. The one to avoid is the tea tree, as it leaves a disgusting smell on your hands after washing. So I’ve put it on the top shelf of the cabinet. Not sure what to do with it.

1 Like

Out of interest, how many ML are there in the new “bottle”?

1 Like

I’ve not bought Fairy for ages, since discovering Aldi’s Magnum washing up liquid.
Apparently Which rated it as being better than Fairy & it’s highly regarded elsewhere too.

2 Likes

I haven’t bought Fairy washing up liquid for years. Late OH stock piled so much that I am still using the old bottles. Having a dish washer I don’t use it a lot any way. Think I have two bottles left now after 5 years, the under the sink cupboard was full of them. He must have bought one a week for months, we had our groceries delivered then.
I shall certainly avoid the new improved version when I need to buy more.

2 Likes

Try Ecover’s washing up liquid Azz. Smells lovely and you can buy it in massive 5 litre refill bottles which last forever. Also far gentler on your hands than the alternatives.

1 Like

Well, I disagree,:joy::joy::sweat_smile:…joking.

I have never tried it, I use fairy washing up liquid, the green one, I don’t think it smells, I can’t smell it anyway,:+1:

1 Like

I use their Avocado shampoo & conditioner. Also lasts a while and leaves the hair nice and soft. Lavender and geranium sounds nice.

1 Like

Today I learned that washing up liquid has a smell. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s the one I was about to recommend Annie!

2 Likes

We buy Fairy Liquid “Pomegranate”. It’s a lovely scent while washing up but this disappears when you rinse the crockery and cutlery under cold water afterwards.

1 Like

I buy fairy but will avoid the new improved one like the plague then Thanks

2 Likes

Small update… I emailed customer support and they said I can take it back to a store for a refund whenever I am in next. I know it’s only a few quid but I want the feedback to reach Fairy!! Hopefully if enough people take them back they will bring back the old formula :lol:

It’s the same size I think Ted… (780ml)

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/fairy-original-with-lift-action-washing-up-liquid/821355-171426-171427

I have had that before Annie, but I know there’s only one scent I like and I can’t remember which one it is now :044:

So I’ll wait until I am back in the store and have aa good nose of them all :lol:

For now I have ordered their own brand ‘sensitive’ version - hopefully that doesn’t contain any nasty smelling chemicals:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/essential-sensitive-washing-up-liquid/852638-720369-720370

I bought this yesterday:

Fairy Pure and Clean Washing Up Liquid, 625 ml

I’ll try it out and report back … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well, I tried it out … and it’s been excellent … :+1:

The product seem to have a slight “clean” odour but barely noticeable. Sud creation and longevity is excellent (I live in a soft-water area). No complaints.

2 Likes

TIL what washing liquid was.

I buy pretty much everything unscented including dish soap, laundry detergent and hand soap. I also use a lot of dr. bronner (concentrated castile soap) for washing stuff. I get the unscented version.

Dr Bronner at Amazon UK

1 Like