Everyone to live 15 minutes away from Green Space and Water in England

You might the Dartmoor ponies.

I presume London still has the “Green Belt” but I do recall my brother commenting as we looked out over Sydney from my son’s flat that Sydney was very green.

You have to remember that Sydney sprawls, I read somewhere years ago that if the UK had the same population density as Sydney then the whole of the UK would be dwellings there would be no room for factories or farming. I don’t know if that is still true, a lot of the quarter acre housing blocks have been divided up but there is a cost involved in these green spaces.

Opposite me two blocks like mine now hold nine townhouses. One of them is currently for sale for $700,000

1 Like

I moved away from the city toward wider open spaces. I thought it would be calming. Hard to say if it’s calmer here. In general, I like the idea of more nature being accessible.

1 Like

At least your neighbours provide a soundtrack to your life.

Some folks would move out but still stay in their homes with the blinds closed because some just like to know the world is there, but not physically engage with it. :icon_wink: :boxing_glove:

Don’t know anyone like that .

Scotland has a lot of green spaces and a lot of water. .

… and midges:

Without the midge, Scotland would not be the same. Midges are one of the reasons for the relatively low population of the Scottish Highlands and help keep the wildernesses wild. They help to keep large areas free of human interference than they may otherwise have been. What is more, they are a food source for a number of important wild creatures, such as bats.

The time of day and and the climate can makes it easier to meliorate these.

Nevertheless:

While biting midges are abroad in Scotland between May and September, with some outliers hitting the skies in April and October, July and August are generally considered to be the time when midges in Scotland are at their worst, in the average year.

Astoundingly, during the height of summer, when midges are at their worst, these tiny creatures can be a true impediment to forestry, agriculture, and for all those spending time working outdoors.

The Forestry Authority has estimated that of the 65 working days each summer, as much as 20% can be lost due to midge attacks preventing workers from doing their jobs. The impact of midges on the tourist industry in financial terms is unknown, but it is clear that during peak season, midges do have an important role to play in driving people away from many of Scotland’s wild and beautiful locations. It is estimated that the Scottish tourist industry loses around £268 million each year because holidaymakers stay away during midge season. (Bad news for some, but good news, perhaps, for those who enjoy spending time in nature undisturbed by tourist hordes.)

So, Scotland in summer is not a good idea for someone allergic to insect bites, like me … :mosquito:

No, I suppose not. There are insect repellants that can allenoate that. I wasn’t really troubled with them. Wasps, on the other hand, gave me a serious reaction.

What a bunch of wussies!

I had to deal with some snakes when I was in South Africa.

You/we move in different circles.

Main street of Thirroul (Wollongong suburb) Red Bellied Black picked up by idiot amateur snake catcher a couple of days ago.

is that a poisonous Snake Bruce?
Imagine buying clothes from that shop and finding a snake all wrapped up with it .

Red Bellied Black? Yep, you would need treatment straight away to survive a bite but on the good side they eat the young of Eastern Brown Snakes which are far more deadly. ((notice how cunningly clever our snakes are named?)

Humans are large and a threat to snakes so snakes only attack if provoked or cornered, best thing is to just stand still and let them make their escape. Most people who are bitten are usually trying to pick them up or kill them.

1 Like

I bought this house and both either side as well and they all face The Green, a large open space grassed area bordered with trees. The house was not exactly what we were looking for, but now we’ve extended it, it is all we were seeking. Will the new ideas impact on us here? That’s impossible as there is no building land left in the area, unless, of course, housing is pulled down to make green spaces.

1 Like

Is The Green big enough to build on , always a worry when space becomes scarce.

Oh yes, it could provide enough land for a full sprawling housing estate, BUT, it is protected by an ancient charter from the original land donner. It was provided as a recreation space for all the town’s people and no other purpose.

1 Like