Ever seen a dragonfly smile?

6 Likes

Awesome pictures Danny.
Look at the detail on the wings!
Nature is wonderful!

Those pictures must have taken some patience! Dragonflies are super fast

2 Likes

Actually this lil guy was a ham. He sat patiently, and I moved very slowly. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Gosh, I would have been so nervous to scare him/her off

2 Likes

Good grief - who’d have guessed Dragonflies had such big teeth??
Great Photos, Danny, thank you!

2 Likes

Loving this! Those wings are incredible. His wee face looks like he is curious about something though.

2 Likes

Are those really the little guy’s teeth, or does he have something in his mouth??

It looks so weird. Love your shots, @Danny . I also am partial to dragonflies. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Wonderful photos of the dragonfly, @Danny

2 Likes

@Danny
Wow Danny, that’s great and really made me smile too :icon_cool:

2 Likes

Stunning photos Danny!! And they are beautiful creatures… but when I see them I always run a mile because I’ve always thought they can sting you!! Can they? :lol:

A bite is possible with those teeth. They could sting I suppose, not sure.

1 Like

I can’t see any teeth Cinderella :lol:

But in all seriousness, do they bite or sting? I’d like to know for future reference :003:

1 Like

Dragonflies don’t have true teeth but they do have extremely large, strong mandibles with sharply-pointed tooth-like serrations.

Large dragonflies, if held in the hand, will sometimes try to bite they fail to break the skin. They have a lot of “folk names” which imply that they do, such as “Horse-stinger”, but they don’t use their egg-laying tube (ovipositor) for stinging.

3 Likes

Like a Hornets sting, have you ever known anyone who has received sting from a Dragonfly.

2 Likes

I have seen lots of big dragonflies in my garden lately. They seem to join all sorts of coloured butterflies to visit my Buddleia trees.

They are fascinating to watch as they are like tiny planes!!

Danny, your pics are lovely.

2 Likes

Stunning photos @Danny

2 Likes

Those are glorious photographs @Danny .
We usually see a few in our garden but I’ve not seen any this year yet, mind you I have been building furniture inside.
And spending far too much time on this laptop, though I don’t know why.

2 Likes

Super photo’s, Danny.
They don’t sting, but boy can they harass you, specially if you are in the way, on their flight path/territory.
Friend & I bird watching accidently wandered into a large Dragonfly’s territory. He was not pleased & let us know swiftly. We hastily moved out of the way. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

They cannot sting you.

2 Likes