Employment and part time contracts

Oh well done you! I feel a bit encouraged now…I like your idea about customers who stare at the walls - it didn’t even occur to me to think of that :roll_eyes: My two shops are just gift shops on a sale or return basis. Yes I’m not taking it seriously either really… …more to see if I can or not.

Sale or return is a good basis … there’s no outlay for you.
Funny, I was surprised by how many coffee shops saw their bare walls as unattractive but didn’t want to have to fork out cash to brighten them up … so it worked well for both of us.
Treat it as a laugh and it can be quite fun… and good for your own sense of achievement.

1 Like

Yes, as soon as you start taking yourself too seriously, its all downhill from there! :joy:

For a start you start to lose your inspiration or view your art in a production line mentality of ‘will it sell’ … rather than a fun hobby for relaxation .

Yes! That’s what I find myself like at the moment…I’m doing things “for people who might like it” rather than “do I like it”. I hate that line of thinking, it makes me not want to do anything. Or I try this and that, to take my mind off the thing I’m supposed to be doing. :joy: For example, I was supposed to be resizing photos, and planning the week ahead, but I ended up playing with some air clay and made a little incense holder instead… Far more fun!

1 Like

Sounds fun … what is air clay?

Its blocks of clay (Its called Das) that you form into whatever you like, and sit on the windowsill to dry. You don’t need a kiln or an oven… it takes a while to dry, though (a couple of days if its a big thing)

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/crafts-and-hobbies/clay-modelling/air-drying-clay

1 Like

Oh that does look fun. I shall have to investigate it … this is why I can never reach Van Gogh’s dizzy heights … I dabble with too many things.

2 Likes

Don’t we all! Its part of being “creatively intelligent” I call it. I really can’t understand these people who do the same thing all the time, for years and years…I know it works for them, but I’m not wired like that :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that. :biking_man:

Under employment is a problem here too, I mean people working part time or casually who want more hours.

Some things are changing - some of these contract workers are being redefined as employees by the Industrial court and casual employees can apply to be permanent after one year of casual work.

The problem with the latter is that there are a number of casual workers who like the 25% loading that casual work brings with it and which they would lose if they became permanent employees. At the moment the minimum wage is $20 per hour but being casual employee means that you get $25 per hour

However very few employees are on minimum wage for example a waitress in a licensed club gets about $25 per hour if she was a casual worker she would get $31 per hour.

I am not really sure what a Zero Hours contract is.

A zero hours contract means, the employer can shout Shit, and the employee jumps on the shovel.

Although, they are not an employee as such. :biking_man:

The link below gives details about Zero Hours Contracts, while it may suit some people it’s definitely not good for those wanting regular and full weeks of work:

That’s about the right description of those hours, how on earth they have managed to even come about is beyond me. Although it’s probably got something to do with a ‘take it or leave it’ kind of attitude, very good for employers but not for employees.

1 Like

Thanks, that just sounds like casual work to me except here there is no holiday pay or sick leave - hence the 25% loading on top of the award wage.

If a person has a skill or trade to offer I reckon they would be better off going as a ‘freelance’ worker (casual but full hours). Here that is usually self-employed or was in the trade in which I worked. Freelancers can do very well out of this way of working, the one important thing is to have plenty of contacts in your trade so ensuring continuity of work, also to be flexible in the work you are able to do and hours you are prepared to work.

Anybody can accurately calculate their wage here under the award system. Employers can pay more than the Award but not less. For example in the 1960s when the average wage was about $50 a week but there was a worker shortage my employer paid me a $112 per week “over award” payment as a Senior Technician to ensure I stayed. This allowance flowed through to overtime rates penalties etc

Raising capital is never a problem if, a person is prepared to do whatever no one else is, better than anyone else and, when the person them self shouts shit, their personal disposition makes them jump on the shovel, that is Self Employment. :thinking: :grinning:

:grinning: :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like