Electoral Reform make a difference

Wikipedia

Formally the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms) is an international treaty to protect human rights and fundamental freedoms in Europe. [sic]

ECHR rulings open to interpretation, it as an erosion of national sovereignty .

1 Like

You are quite right! When a nation wishes to unjustly persecute an individual then that nation should be free to do so, regardless of international conventions on human rights. To inhibit this freedom to treat people badly is of course to erode that nation’s sovereignty! Countries and specifically their leaders need this sovereignty to apply whatever they want, on whoever they want - no external court should prevent that!!
You do realise how plain wrong that all sounds and where that can lead?

Indeed, only the populace have the efficacy to change that, or so we are led to believe.

A country or nation should make their own laws unhindered by outside influences. Different customs and religions vary, and we might not like what they do, but they have the right to do it the way they see fit. A country or a collection of countries (as in the EU) would be seen as dictators (bullies) if they took this national freedom away. I don’t see how this has anything to do with buying or selling to each other. I also don’t see how allowing workers the right to pass between countries unchecked has anything to do with trade either. Surely a countries right to protect it’s borders is purely a nation thing
?
Isn’t the whole point of the EU to enhance trade between countries and reduce some of the red tape associated with trade?

A country should make their own laws - but what if those laws persecute individuals or minorities in that country? You know, something like “it is illegal to worship a certain way” or “it is illegal to have hair of a certain colour”. Or something like “it is now legal for our police to lock up, torture and execute anyone they like without trial”.
If that country has signed up to a convention or treaty on individual rights (along with a group of other countries) - do these other countries now have any right or obligation to sustain those individual rights in all these countries? If my country has signed up to these rights, and my neighbouring country has also done so, what should my country do if that other country breeches those individual rights?

1 Like