Driving into London? Think twice before doing so …

My car has CO2 of 84gms/km (80mpg), but even so I have no intention of driving into any part of London.
It had been mooted that London like charges were to be introduced to Chichester, but as the city relies on the car for shopping trade etc and car park charges, second thoughts were applied.

Personally, I wouldn’t set foot in Londonistan and certainly would never drive there for obvious reasons.

Having said that, Marge is talking about going to Kew Gardens for her 60th birthday, I may be obliged to go (although not drive of course).

It occurs to me that if enough people in Londonistan either object to the new rules or even can’t afford the charges, there would be a lot of Londoners giving up their cars and, consequently, their road tax.
I wonder if Khan’t has considered how to make up the shortfall. He’s probably not bothered as that income, I think, goes straight to the government.

It may also result in people moving out of the area, though I’m not sure how many people would want to pay the ridiculously high prices to buy their houses.

Strangely, I too have received a letter from Transport for London, stating that my car (should I be stupid enough to venture anywhere near that cesspit) does not meet the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) standards.

Then there’s the usual ramblings about air pollution in the capital and to cap it off, TfL gave the DVLA my registration number (don’t know where they got that from), and it was the DVLA who send out the letters.

What became of the Data Protection Act?

I really enjoyed driving in the UK. Cant remember much about London apart from it wasnt as bad as Sydney…:frowning:

There’s a “100% discount” for residents, but for how long I don’t know.

Oh, so if you live there - and vote for the next mayor - you are not charged!

Just to keep visitors out, then?

Living in central London is probably fine without owning a car, plenty of transport to everywhere plus of course nowhere to park anyway or you can but at an extortionate cost. It’s possible even to walk most places, if you know London.

Now that the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) area has expanded so much, right to the outer suburbs, easy transport may not be the case. Have a look at the map of this area on my original post, it’s quite some large area compared to what it once was.

All this is in aid of the drive (excuse pun) towards electric vehicles. Next will come the increases in taxes both on petrol and diesel fuels and on the vehicles themselves that use those fuels. Look at the increases in Vehicle Excise Duty some years’ ago on larger-engined cars (gas-guzzlers) to get them off the roads or pay a small fortune in tax if you wish to drive one of those vehicles.

Soon, and in not so many years either I believe, will come the almost ‘compulsory’ electric vehicles, everything else will have been priced off the roads. :frowning:

Did you see this page:

Minimum emission standards
Petrol: Euro 4
Diesel: Euro 6

The ULEZ is enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. However:

Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015

Interestingly, we still see 'VIP’s still being driven around in large ‘gas-guzzlers’.
Why?
Well, I suppose because they can…
and after all, WE are paying for them through our taxes.

Crit'Air clean air stickers - need to know for driving in France | RAC Drive.
I think there are lot of more areas introducing new rules on this,Chilles was saying about Bath a while back…

Bath has introduced a clear air zone link for anyone interested

https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/check-your-vehicle-and-pay-charge#:~:text=Bath%20has%20a%20class%20C%20clean%20air%20zone%2C,the%20required%20emission%20standards.%20Check%20your%20vehicle%20online

“Charges do not apply to private cars and motorbikes, even if they’re used for work.”

It seems that most of the above are not charged. I checked using our registration number and we are not subject to charge.

Having said that, I wonder what sort of cars will be subject to charge. It’s not very specific.

Probably everything that is not exempt in some way, possibly by way of low emissions, electric vehicles or others that are exempt for some valid reason, will be charged.

I don’t really know exactly and what is more I do not wish to as I will never go into London again or anywhere else with a ‘clean air zone’. 25 years of working in London was more than enough for one lifetime I reckon. :wink: :slight_smile:

Just checked my car and there’s no charge for Bath, but £8 a day for Birmingham and no charge for Portsmouth. Nothing like a bit of confusion to add to the mix is there! :frowning:

Ours is a VW 1.6 Petrol and I’m pretty sure it’s not particularly low emission.
Not complaining of course.

As for Birmingham, no thanks.

I also worked and drove through central London for about fifteen years but eventually couldn’t wait to move out due to the ridiculous parking restrictions. Warden would be round every day, sometimes followed by the tow trucks which would take cars to the police pound. I got towed away twice.

London was once a great place to work and I even enjoyed the ‘buzz’ of driving through places like Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus.

Couldn’t give a toss now though. Cars are £12.50 plus the so called congestion charge, that’s £27.50 per day.

Lorries are charged £100 per day for ULEZ. :shock::shock:

I assume that lorries delivering goods to retailers or customers in Londonistan therefore charge extra to cover their additional congestion charges. They wouldn’t do it for nothing and make a loss, would they?

Those charges, then, would be added to delivery costs so everyone who buys (or sells) those goods would also be paying.

I can only assume that either people can easily afford these additional costs or are perhaps considering the wisdom of moving out of the area.

I suppose that eventually, only the filthy rich would remain in Londonistan. Others would sell their properties to other filthy rich buyers and move to more outlying areas. It sounds like a double benefit, as the money they’d make from their houses/shops/etc, would buy an even nicer/bigger house in the Home Counties. I would anyway.

I can’t say whether costs are more in London, I assume that all supermarket prices are the same for instance but I suppose the added cost will be spread among the rest of the Country. :cry:

My car is also a VW Golf, a 1.6TDi, the diesel version of your’s and is a low emission vehicle, it’s one of those that doesn’t have Vehicle Excise Duty applied. The letter received about the ULEZ was sent because of that plus there was comment regarding the year of manufacture. Those like mine, manufactured before 2015 may or may not be charged in the new expanded ULEZ, depending on the engine it has. I was advised to contact a VW main dealer to find out.

As I will never drive into London again there is little point in finding out. Perhaps I might if I am at the main dealers but I will not be making any special effort to find out. :wink: :slight_smile:

So we all pay for Khan’t frivolities?

I wonder what he’s going to do with all the extra money he raises. Buy himself a new gas-guzzler?

being

It wouldn’t surprise me. After all, he is probably exempt from the charge, him being so important and all that. :wink: