UK - Downing Street rules out immediate cost of living measures

Last week, the Bank of England forecast that the UK was heading into a recession, with inflation set to hit 13%.

Meanwhile, the energy price cap will go up in October, with industry analysts estimating average domestic energy bills could hit more than £3,600 a year.

CBI head Tony Danker echoed Mr Brown, saying that the prime minister and the candidates for the Tory leadership, Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss, “should come together to agree a common pledge to support people and help quell fears”.

“The economic situation people and businesses are facing requires all hands to the pump this summer,” he said.

“We simply cannot afford a summer of government inactivity while the leadership contest plays out followed by a slow start from a new prime minister and cabinet.”

In a press release, the CBI said the prime minister should direct the civil service to draw up options on help the most vulnerable people - and that these options should be made available to both leadership candidates.

The organisation - which represents British businesses - also said Mr Johnson, Mr Sunak and Ms Truss should agree “a way forward to support people and businesses with energy bills” ahead of 26 August, when Ofgem is due to announce the next energy price cap.

Downing Street said it recognised the public were facing “challenging times”.

However, Mr Johnson’s spokesman argued it would be up to his successor to make any decisions on further help.

Mr Johnson is due to leave office in early September, and No 10 said “by convention it is not for this prime minister to make major fiscal interventions during this period”.

The spokesman also said there were no plans to recall Parliament, but that Mr Johnson and his Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi are meeting this week to discuss progress on the support measures already announced.

The UK is in financial limbo, then … :069:

1 Like

Seems that way Omah. I cant see either of the two candidates actually committing before they are elected (they can’t really anyway) and as for Boris - why should he do anything at all. Nobody is going to want to take emergency action over any of this.

1 Like

This disgusts me to the nth degree. people are suffering right now. Bugger “convention”, someone needs to do something about this - we haven’t seen this level of horrific living standards in many many years.

2 Likes

In my opinion Johnson will hold back from doing anything in an effort to make it as bliddy as possible for the new incumbent.

You only have to look at the latest cabinet reshuffle to see what he’s up to !

1 Like

It disgusts me that Boris has not seen his tenure to the end with dignity instead hes partying with rich cronies when the country is in crisis .

2 Likes

Absolutely, he’s sticking two fingers up at us all and showing his true colours :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

And some twonks are STILL supporting him :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It comes after Scotland’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon wrote to him requesting an emergency meeting.

In the letter she told Mr Johnson that only the UK government could access resources “on the scale required”.

She said urgent talks with the administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were needed due to the “fast deteriorating” situation.

No date for the discussions has been set.

• He better get a move on and get chatting. He leaves very soon…I bet it won’t happen.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-08-17/tories-deny-governments-gone-missing-as-boris-johnson-enjoys-second-holiday
Critics have accused him of being missing in action at a time when rising food prices pushed inflation to another 40-year high, while households are growing increasingly anxious about how they’re going to pay rocketing energy bills this autumn.

Asda chairman Lord Rose criticised a “horrifying” absence of fresh support on Wednesday, saying: “The captain of the ship is on shore leave – nobody is in charge at the moment.”

1 Like

Of course, I’m not surprised at BJ’s selfish behaviour - he only cares about himself - but the sheer irresponsibility of this country’s “caretaker” leader is breathtaking … :astonished:

3 Likes

What concerns me is that this is being seen by other world leaders…Putin, et al…I mean, talk about being vulnerable! He took more care to be seen when Covid was going on. I reckon he is doing a Trump and just having a hissy fit. Insidious little man.

2 Likes

AFAIK, he’s shacking up with Carrie at Chequers when he returns from Greece. He’ll probably be taking full advantage of the kitchen and cellar … :cut_of_meat: :lobster: :wine_glass: :cake: :champagne:

2 Likes

Alright for some, eh? While the UK skitters around in a state of suppressed panic at food prices, energy prices, covid and war across the sea, he strolls back from his second holiday to stuff his face. Arrgh the man is a disgrace! :rage:

1 Like

Hi

The problem is worldwide, however the UK has . the highest inflation in the G7

2 Likes

What a revolting selfish entity is Boris Johnson .
I would ashamed to have him as a husband .

2 Likes

Yes it’s true the country is facing desperate times this winter , where is our prime minister oh he’s on holiday or living it up at chequers .
Yes holiday but later in September.
Johnson has no shame.

2 Likes

Don’t know why he bothered staying on, nor why he was permitted to, since it’s always been clear that he had no intention of contributing any further to new policies and that he’s made no effort to tidy up and see through the processes involved in setting up existing ones.

Think he should be sued for breach of contract.

1 Like

He certainly should stand down forthwith.

2 Likes

Lookit what I found…

(If this is in the wrong thread, I apologise…)

2 Likes

My god, how disconnected from the real world can he possibly get? :scream:

3 Likes

He probably lives on the planet Zog and sends in a hologram to issue inanities … much like LT … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes