Don't write off hydrogen becoming the dominant fuel for vehicles

The UK has this to help promote the technology:
http://www.ukhfca.co.uk/

" Our goal is to make the UK the best place for hydrogen and fuel cells across all applications and opportunities."

@Bruce , Haven’t you heard Brucy, we are up to our necks in shit over here
already, ( horse or otherwise!!)
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

@AnnieS , l think you should research your figures for the daily production
of only two horses producing enough heat to supply a family for a year
Annie !!
And could you come back to us with your findings ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

LOL . . horse & fart rolling along every street. My Nan used to nip out with t’bucket n’shovel to collect all the ‘gold-dust’ for t’veggies lmao.

2 Likes

What? :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

So did I until about 25 years ago, my area was very rural and you often got horses being ridden in the street, my opposite neighbour used to shoo them off his verge onto the road. the people next door used to have their horses in the back yard occasionally much to the delight of my kids.

Never see any now as the area has expanded.

Should we be using methane as a fuel then?

I was quoting from the Irish times article DM. Someone called Anssi Paalanen who runs the company converting horse sheets into fuel seems to think it possible.

Hi

We already are.

Cutting methane emissions is the fastest opportunity we have to immediately slow the rate of global warming, even as we decarbonize our energy systems.” “Methane has more than 80 times the warming power of carbon dioxide over the first 20 years after it reaches the atmosphere.

That would be a “no” then and it might explain why the move to alternative fuels.
Hydrogen cells only produce water for example.

I’ve been saying for quite a while now that converting your petrol powered car or van to burn LPG (methane) has to be the way to go. It’s ½ the price of petrol and the exhaust is cleaner too.

@Zaphod ,. It’s a pity then that the artic tundra has already started thawing !!
If it continues what "CAN WE " do ??
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

That should have been pushed more years ago but nowadays first there’s still the exhaust gasses as opposed to the likes of hydrogen, and second it could become just as expensive.
:grin:
Maybe availability has had a bit to do with it too?
We’re already seeing gas supply shortages; would we ever have been able to get enough to use as the common fuel for vehicular transport too?
:man_shrugging:

Read the " Greenland meltdown update" bit in here:

“…. according to the Danish Meteorological Institute, DMI, the ice sheet ended the summer with an above-average volume, due to one of the shortest melt seasons on record

One of my friends sends me conservative woman articles. I think one was written by someone we know. It’s an unusual publication with an interesting history.

Anyway here is another alternative eco friendly fuel :grinning:

Extract :
"The project, HEMP-30, being led by the University of York, was awarded £200,000 ($276,000) from a total £4 million ($5.5 million) granted under the Biomass Feedstocks Innovation Programme, which aims to increase biomass production that can be used for green energy. The biomass program is part of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy’s £1bn Net Zero Innovation Portfolio.

The program is being run in two phases; in the initial phase, projects receive funding to produce innovative project plans; successful projects are then funded to commercialize their initiatives."

@AnnieS , that could be a biased report Annie ??
We all know about students and grass !! :grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :hugs::hugs:

LPG fuel was all the rage in the 1980s and many people converted their cars to dual fuel but over the years has gone out of fashion despite lower costs. So much so that servos are removing LPG pumps. Only vehicles like taxis still use it.

LPG costs about 88c/l (44p) at the bowser whereas petrol is about 150c/l (75p)

It’s industrial hemp. Not the same stuff that you put in your pipe.

@AnnieS , l don’t smoke anything, let alone a pipe !!
I suppose you mean the stuff you can make clothes with ??
It does have merit but there is a lot of political oppostion to it, as politicians are unable to tell the difference between the two !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking: