Dog owners scared as surge in dog thefts

Funny you should bring this up, on our local towns Facebook page there is a large post about how dog owners are feeling unsafe after being followed and watched. One couple have even had to change the route and drive elsewhere to walk their large dog . What the heck is happening to our country where we have to be on our guard just to exercise our dogs . We shouldn’t have to live in fear of our dogs being snatched.

I despair of the world we live in more and more

Starting or joining a dog walking group makes sense, safety in numbers.

It’s also illegal to let your dog off the lead unless it is in a designated area although not everyone in my area quite understands the concept. :cry:

No and we never see a copper either. :cry:

Also, not sticking to a routine helps.

People round my way like to walk their dogs off leash because they get a kick of seeming to have control over big scary dogs. However smug turns to panic when they bump into another off-leash big scary dog, and a fight ensues.:shock:

The concept of cleaning up after the dog also difficult to grasp expect others to avoid it.

‘travellers’ are above the law anyway.

That has certainly increased tenfold since lockdown.

Same here, Keezoy.

That’s a might fine dog!

“There is no blanket law requiring dogs to be kept on a lead in all public spaces”

Correct !

It’s rare that dogs fight off the lead .

I didn’t know that. I knew they had to keep their dog “under control” in a public area (traffic, kids etc) but as anyone knows, no dog is ever 100% in your control

I agree but I had a bit of a surprise this afternoon. I was strolling down the Rig and I met three people with their dogs. No leads. One of them decided to have a barking fest at Max.
A collie at that. Max is a gentleman.

Oh, he’s just so adorable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70zIKq0TQQ see from 4.15

He is good…

This looks OK and might delay a thief long enough to prevent them.

Dageus and I were in the park a week ago and he was chasing his ball, This Staffie type dog came out of nowhere and attacked him, went straight for his throat and as Dageus had a mouthfull of ball he was unable to respond. I was near enough to stop it before it got bad and I grabbed the Staffies back legs and raised then high and he could no longer fight. It was several minutes before his owner sauntered into view and started to have a go at me for hurting her dog. WELL, you can imagine what followed from me. I none too politely told her what I thought of her, she shouldn’t be in charge of a dog, how did she expect to control it when it was out of her sight, she needed to go to training classes. ect ect. People had gathered by now and it seems this happens quite often, that made me even more furious. I quickly took a photo of her and another of her dog and told her I was reporting her to the Police, the Dog Warden, and the Council. I also told her it was going on Facebook so people could be warned about her. I didn’t put it Facebook it was just a treat. But I really hope she gets herself and her dog sorted out.
One thing did bother me though, she put it on it’s lead but the dog dug it’s heels in and would not go with her, she had to drag it??? Why??? Very strange.