Doctors - do you trust them?

No not at all - we pay for the NHS remember, we have every right to be critical of it and want it to be fit for purpose - which many of us believe it currently is not.

Also, I don’t think your patronising remark reflects well on you, or the industry you work in.

and I don’t think your dangerous knowledge and advice reflects well on you as an individual and admin of this site!

I would probably try 150mg of ranititdine in the morning, then the same before bed.

You may be better off switching to the equivalent dose of Ranitidine (go for the Zantac brand) which might be 150mg twice a day. You can then reduce each tablet to 3/4, then go to one full at night time (none in the morning), then start reducing the nightly one. But you would need to rebuild your mucous lining…

here are two pieces of medical advice that you have given another member or members on this forum and then you say in other places

I do not have any formal training in medicine (not that that counts for much in my book these days) nor have I said that I do. However, I have read hundreds of research papers and on many occasions (too many for my liking) have had to correct medical ‘doctors’ on the simplest of things.

My authenticity? I’ve never claimed to be a doctor or in the medical profession.

I don’t need a degree in computer science to be a software developer. I don’t need a degree in medicine to be knowledgeable about health and well-being.

(I don’t consider myself a therapist of any kind.)

Nurses are not permitted legally to advise their own patients to change doses of medication or change the medication, without consulting a doctor

I believe that your practice of doing this here could be reported to the medical board as a dangerous and illegal activity and in my book is akin to witchcraft!

This is very true, and there are plenty alternatives to choose from.

Acupuncture
Ayurveda
Chinese Medicine
Chiropractic
Herbalism
Homeopathy
Massage Therapy
Naturopathic
Osteopathy

If anyone feels that they cannot get good care from the traditional medical field… they should try a few of these.

No one is saying that you HAVE to have your illness or disease treated by a Medical doctor… Only that it’s kind of foolhardy not to.

Many people with severe, untreatable, or terminal conditions turn to these as last resorts. That doesn’t mean Medical doctors are incompetant, or stupid… It simply means that there is a limit to what can be done medically. They simply cannot cure EVERYTHING… and eventually… something is going to be fatal… We all DIE.

Nurses are not permitted legally to advise their own patients to change doses of medication or change the medication, without consulting a doctor

I believe that your practice of doing this here could be reported to the medical board as a dangerous and illegal activity and in my book is akin to witchcraft!

Oh… and Azz, did you actually threaten Pats? I would be very very careful with that garbage. I find your comment incredibly offensive. Just because a person is in the medical field does NOT mean that they cannot offer suggestions., or have personal opinions. I see she is always prefacing her statements… with… “I am not a doctor” of “Here is what I PERSONALLY would do” She is NOT dispensing advise or prescribing medication, as a professional…but as a consumer. Also… this is not a doctors office. THIS is a message board… social site… She is not seeing anyone as a patient… nor is she taking payment. Therefore I would be very careful of your threats Azz… If you don’t apologize to her… I will not post in this section again either… If you want that. fine with me… I personally don’t NEED to post here… neither does Pats… however I think both of us make valuable contributions. If you don’t think so and you want just your little group of the uninformed in this section…and feel my input is not helpful… fine with me… as they say… no skin off my nose.

Edited… Apologies to AZZ… Redireted to Gumbud… And up yurs to Baxter.

Allowed myself a wry, self-satisfied smile at this one. Audrey - you’ve got it all so wrong… now what was it about no listening or reading things properly. You should double check on who is accusing who and of what

Sorry … had to re-read this … “valuable contributions” …

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I’m happy to bow out now.

My apologies Azz… It’s very early here… Then I shall redirect my comments.

So Baxter8… smug as thou art. If you are infering my contributions are not valuable in this forum… Don’t read them…

It’s at times like this I wish I had an emoticon to show the VICTORY DANCE - oh well can’t have everything.

To be honest i mostly ignore your contributions but couldn’t help thrusting my fist in the air and yelping yessss…

Good grief my life must be so small.

Just read “up yours” - I was merely doing you a favour pointing out your blunder :lol: … Well you’ve been crossed off my Christmas Card list now

I have very little personal experience of doctors - it must be almost 20 years since I last saw one. My wife is a different matter and, because she is suffering from a number of conditions, sees her GP and various hospital consultants frequently. On the whole I trust the doctors, but recognise that they are working in an overworked, underfunded and very pressurised service, which means that diagnoses are sometimes made too quickly and are sometimes wrong. For example, my wife was recently admitted to hospital with an urgent cardiac problem which for two years had been diagnosed as “panic attacks.”

Our experiences of nursing staff in our hospitals (and unfortunately my wife has a great deal of experiencxe of hospital stays) is very mixed. Some are “old school” nurses who, despite the pressure and bureaucracy still really care and will make every effort to make the patient’s stay as comfortable as possible. Others (a tiny minority) appear not to care less about patient’s needs or comfort - especially when treating elderly patients.

My my… what a class act you are… Guess it’s better to wallow in ignorance than admit that some people know more than you do, or to keep an open mind. Fine with me.

I love that people are saying we have choices ! what choices ? when we have tried to refuse treatment we have been threatened with legal action ! If we consult the GP and refuse his advice - risk being taken off his list ! not much choice IMO

I am not familiar with the British model of healthcare, but here no one is forced to do anything… that includes following medical advise… I’ve never heard of anyone being sued for not following advise. Only perhaps if a child was involved and the parents refused lifesaving treatments. An adult can do as they please.

Not here, my poor old granddad didn’t want to even go to hospital he and we knew it was the end, could he stay at home ? no they insisted he didn’t understand and took him anyway, another 5 days of hell for him and he understood alright he was bright as a button right up to the end brain was working fine.

Now that is one of my pet peeves with the medical profession, particularly in the hospital. That being that the elderly are just assumed to be demented and senile and not understanding what they are being told. I have seen that thousands of times in my career. Some elderly person is being advised of a procedure and the children are called to give consent, and her wishes are ignored. WHY? No one better call my kids for consent on what is being done to me if I am able to give it myself.

And I also don’t think your patronising and personal insult
towards me reflects well on you as admin of a forum. :shock:

Attack the ball not the player…:018:

Edited to add…these are your own words Azz…quote…" I do draw the line at personal remarks being posted on the public forums…"…unquote.

I have a excellent doctor and yes I do trust them.

A good point Pats!

I’ve had bad experiences with doctors in the past - mainly GPs I must add - and that’s resulted in my lack of faith shall I say in certain members of the medical profession but equally I’ve also had bad experiences of the Police!

When I was in my teens I was still a very trusting person; many would say that I was naive and perhaps a little too trusting but it’s how I was brought up.

My Dad believed anybody in uniform was to be trusted, and that, to him, included public employees like doctors, nurses, social workers etcetera but Pats, the medical profession let him down.

They promised me faithfully that he would be cared for and they’d find out what was causing his problems but in the end they did nothing and the parting shot to me, sitting at his deathbed years ago, was from his consultant.

He just said “Well, what do you expect with a chest like that?!” and stalked off.

All the people involved in my wife’s hip operation at the hospital were very good, as was the paramedic that came out to us that time and I’m very grateful for that but much of what we were told would be explained to us regarding her recuperation at home just didn’t happen.

No, I’m truly sorry Pats but I still find it very hard to trust anyone in the way that I once did. stevmk2

I also remember being told by pats not to buy meds off the internet, without going to a GP how are we to get the drugs we need ? no choices at all IMO

Julie…I advised that drugs shouldn’t be bought off the internet.

If you don’t go to a GP…then you self-prescribing…again is that wise? :confused:

Repeat prescriptions I have had for years and will never be off seems to me safe enough to assume I don’t need a GPs say so. Besides at least one of my meds are now able to be bought off prescription, actually can be got much cheaper than the prescription cost. So if I ever stop getting the prepaid prescription card I will be sourcing them cheap as I can.

Prescriptions are FREEfor those of us over 60 Julie darlin’ - just hang in there!!!

Don’t you get an annual review of your meds Julie? :confused: