Do You Wear Thermal

In the winter?

If so can you recommend any good types of thermal under garments.?

Especially for my feet and top half including my head, I feel the cold terribly.

Do they sell thermal scarves, I bet they do?

Anyway I’d like to hear from you, first hand.:grin:

Depending upon what job I was on, but yes, I use to, in my late teens. I was an apprentice bricklayer & it could be a really cold job, especially if you were working on a chimney overlooking the coast.

1 Like

I’m a Scotsman.
Even though I’ve changed over the years I still wear a tee shirt even in the depths of winter and only wear a pullover or padded coat if it’s snowing or very icy out, so there’s zero chance of me wearing thermals.
Mrs Zaphod however is the complete opposite.

2 Likes

Crikey, you must be centrally heated,:open_mouth::joy::rofl::sweat_smile::+1:

1 Like

Yes…I have seen plenty of guys strolling around in T-shirts and shorts, even…when their other halves are (sensibly :joy: ) wrapped up against the winter cold up here!

1 Like

There are many different reasons you might feel colder than your friends.

1. Body Fat. This one is simple. The more fat you have under your skin, the better insulated you are from winter’s bitter bite.
  2. Age. The cold fact of getting older is that your body just isn’t as good at regulating temperature.
  3. Sex. Women are more prone to feeling cold than men. A different genetic makeup makes it more difficult for women to regulate body temperature.
  4. Size. Height plays a major role as well. A taller person will have a harder time with circulation as blood has farther to go. That same person also has more surface area to be affected by cold than a shorter person of the same build.
  5. Sleep. Sleep is far more important than any of us working adults will ever admit. Everything from metabolism to stress to reduced brain activity can lead to your body not regulating heat very well.
  6. Dehydration. Drink more water. Water in your body helps you regulate your body temperature. I could explain, but instead hit the water bottle extra hard on the next cold day and notice the difference yourself.
  7. Not enough muscle, increased muscle mass will do everything from increase your metabolism to add a thick coat of insulation.
  8. Medical Issues. There are a host of medical issues that might have you feeling a bit chilled. Anything from thyroid problems to diabetes to an iron deficiency can keep you chilled. If you try the other stuff and remain cold, it never hurts to see a doctor! There might be a bigger issue at play.
2 Likes

Thanks for that information Mr Fraggle, :+1::+1:

I have never worn ‘thermals’ at all so cannot really comment. Never really feel the cold unless I am up to my ears in snow - which doesn’t happen often! Haven’t worn any form of vest since I was about 10 years old, around the house I am mostly in T Shirts and cotton skirts/trousers, and I sleep naked all year round. I don’t put the CH on until the outdoor temperature drops below 4C.

2 Likes

I handled the cold pretty well you have to as I worked in the building trade most of my life but along came radiation treatment for throat cancer which damaged my thyroid gland and I now haver hypothyroidism and I can feel cold in the sunshine.

My only concession to the colder months is a cotton singlet/vest. Other than that, I wear almost the same indoor clothing all the year round. . T-shirt and either shorts or a pair of those jogging type bottoms. I do like to feel comfortable and unrestricted when at home and trousers and collared shirts tend to make me feel trussed up. Prolly too many years wearing a 3 piece suit for work brought about the trussed up feeling.

1 Like

Go outdoors sell thermal underwear…

1 Like

I’m one of the lucky ones that don’t feel the cold that much.
Still wearing shorts and Tee shirt when out and about.
Did have a set of thermals going back years when I used to go beach fishing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And not a pretty sight.
dd4ffb20381f0a925e33a3d646b1e6b8--monkey-humor-jane-goodall

2 Likes

You’ve been hacking my photo albums again :joy::monkey_face:

2 Likes

Never have worn thermals, even living in the Northeast US where we often get blizzards and Noreasterners! I do wear sweaters, but no fleece lined trousers, and certainly don’t bundle up! Naked when I sleep, winter or summer…
If I get chiily (no, Chillie, I won’t ever get you) I turn up the heat!
Oh wait a sec… :wink:

1 Like

I’m such a wuss I am always cold and my feet are cold especially when I get into bed they can take a good half hour to warm up . I started wearing little vests in the last years . My mum would be pleased as she used to tell me when young and I refused I’d rather freeze than wear a vest when wearing skimpy teenage clothing.

1 Like

@RightNow nobody gets me :joy:

2 Likes

Do I wear thermal underwear? Yes, if I’m out fishing and it’s a cold day. I’ve even been known to wear a pair of fishnet tights under a normal pair under my jeans in the past too to keep the cold out.

2 Likes