Do you use your local Library?

I use the library and order books to collect there too .

I wrote a poem abut a library once.

Forgotten Library

There, on shelves lie never read,
Novelists and children’s books,
Forgotten poets now long dead,
In this room where no one looks.

Comfy chairs, an open fire,
Peaceful quietness, cold within,
The place they once went to retire,
Has only lonely ghosts of kin.

Adults have no time to read,
Children, have the net, you see,
It’s sad they haven’t got the need,
This room, it craves their company.

Yes I use mine regularly too Tess. I usually get 6 books out. If I’ve nothing to read, I’m dead :smiley:

Our library has stuff going on most days, you know things like the ‘scrabblers’, coffee mornings, exhibitions and talks and the noisiest has to be Friday mornings when it’s the kids story time. Bring back ‘Silence’ in libraries I say :twisted:

And there’s the free use of the computers. A boon when my laptop went belly up not long ago. I hot footed it down to the library to use their computers to find info on the problem.

The machines are a problem … you know for booking out or returning or renewing. They always seem to have problems and freeze up :roll:

You sound like me … the lazy way to pick books. then stroll in and collect them.

You do meet some characters there though.
There was the elderly chap who used to fall asleep in a comfy chair in the corner everyday and swear at anyone who woke him up … the librarian didn’t like to ask him to leave. Poor chap was trying to save on his heating bills so came to the library. We tip toed around him.
cAnd then there was me friend Brian Big Paws, retired, ex-army… who got banned after threatening to throw some kids out of one of the upstairs windows as they were noisy and they ran home and told their dad.

Full of community spirit are libraries.

I’m a helpful soul … so when the librarian ,Ian, very nice chap … told me there was a beam across the entrance counting how many visitors there was for a survey gauging the libraries popularity I spent half an hour going in . and out … and in …and out … bit like when I flounce from here come to think of it.

I sleep in mine mostly!:confused:

Did you, at any point, Shake it all about?

Yep, I use the physical library and the on line ebook version. Wonderful place.

Went there this afternoon.

I use my local library a great deal - usually have two or three books on the go at any time - but I never go there. I can download ebooks and audiobooks without getting out of my armchair!

Nice looking structure. Also looks to have been built in recent times?

Use my local libraries, here in Massachusetts, on a regular basis and have library cards to two small town libraries in the state of Maine, where we spend a few months at a family cottage each year. I’m still a reader of “paper” books although my wife tends to use her e-book reader.

If you are referring to the Ribbonwood Centre it was built about 2000 when they knocked down the older library to build a shopping mall.

Yes, I use my library a lot

To borrow books of course, and I used to use the computers before I got my own

I can use any library in Lancashire, and return books to any of them, which is good. That means if I visit another town I can borrow books from it and return them to my local library
The maximum limit to borrow is 20 books or other items; I don’t think i’ve been anywhere near that limit

They will do a national search for 60p which is excellent. that means if I see or hear of a book I can request it, and it turns up eventually
60p is very good indeed. I used to live in Cumbria, and just before I left they put up the price of a search from £5 to £8

No Never

Yes often.

If a book is going to cost me a tenner even on Kindle then I’ll birder it from the library for nothing. Marvellous.

Not anymore.:039:

Love this! :mrgreen:

Just picked up the latest Sue Steiner novel, smashing, can’t wait to get stuck in!

I’ve joined the campaign to help save our little library. The council, in their infinite wisdom, wanted to close several branches, and relocate to new premises, and sell the old land for housing. No chance, say us residents!!

But now we have a new chappie involved in Arts and Leisure and he has sort of hinted that we may have a stay of execution. A muted celebration, because it hasn’t yet been decided. We might know more in October. I visit that branch 1-2 times a week.

Jazzi one of the little libraries not far from me was due for the chop and it’s now run by volunteers. I do hope you’re successful.

That’s what we don’t want!