Do you use your computer during a storm?

I have an anti-surge extension for the TV, sky box etc. I have no idea if it would save the equipment in the event of a strike or not. It was just in the cupboard and I needed it. I still watch tv and use the computer during a storm (when I’m not looking out the window at it that is)

Not me, I like the adventure of living dangerously. :smiley:

Thank you my lovely.

Next time I have my electrician here for anything I will ask him about these anti-surge things and if my wiring is alright.
It is not something many women would know about, I’ll bet.

If I looked in somewhere like B & Q or Screwfix etc, how would I know it’s an anti-surge one, does it say clearly on it?

Nor Plastic Bertrand. :cry:

Who’s he? :lol:

A Belgian punk singer who, legend has it, died changing a light bulb whilst standing in a bath of water. I’m not sure if that is completely true. :lol:

A storm is a storm where ever it happens!

Got to agree with your logic there, Tabs. :slight_smile:

Just read through your link.
It does say quite clearly, “do not use any wired appliances.”
Bit scary, but very informative, so thanks for that.

… interesting theory. I like it. :smiley:

Rare maybe but the case posted about did happen.

It quite often happens in my teacup.

One of the areas I lived was Johannes Burg. High Veld. Much thunder and lightning. That was fine for me and others.

As a rather mundane event was the farm where we lived. One of the 240V cables at our bungalow interrupted. Fierce storm force winds. But no risk of danger.

No doubt others may choose to see it otherwise. And that’s OK.

So are you meaning because your bunglow in Johannesburg was safe, I have no need to unplug anything? :confused:

I lived on Scotland.
And no need to unplug.
Nor did I in Johannesburg.
Snakes…now that was a different thing…(

I rather deal with snakes than with lightning which is more dangerous!

Another thing about lightening strikes on telly aerials:

If your house, flat, etc has a roof mounted aerial and you have taller buildings around you in the neighbourhood, then you should be OK - the lightening will probably strike from there first because the distance to the cloud base is less than from your roof. In our case, our parish church is just about 30yds from our apartment block, is much taller, and has lightening rods connected to its steeples.

Depends where. There are just a few adders in Scotland.
But, there were some nasty specimens (and lightning strikes) when I was in Taiwan.

Garlic for me, we haven’t seen a vampire for bloody ages, I miss waving a cross around and splashing holy water everywhere

Just come across this interesting discussion.

I have never bothered to unplug our TV aerial during electrical storms, although of course I now have since I cancelled our BBC Tax. Even so, we are in a bungalow surrounded by tall trees, so I think they would go first.

Our internet and VOIP telephone are supplied by underground cabling (Virgin Media).

Same with our mains supply, so the nearest a lightning strike can hit us is at our local sub-station which, of course, is well protected. Had it been an overhead mains supply, I might have been a little concerned.