Do You Think We Should Have A 99p Coin?

IIRC those coinstar machines in supermarkets keep around 10% for themselves. Cunning really, since having lugged all that unsorted loose change to them, on the whole one can’t really be bothered to take the bag to a bank and have it done for free. I assume banks have coin sorting machinery, if you can actually find a bank nowadays?

I have used the coin star machines in the past, and know about the commission charged. But I try instead to pay into my bank. I know of only one that has a coin sorting machine where the customer can then pay the end amount into their account. Sadly my one doesn’t. That is why I have to wait and wait till I have collected enough for the bank bags.

2 Likes

Actually we use some fairly regularly… The dog groomer, the window cleaner, the local convenience store…

1 Like

Tend to give pound or £2 coins, but can’t recall using lower tender for a long time.

Good point!

1 Like

But I concede that £1 and £2 are metal, lol.

I always pay using coins and cash wherever I can. Some of Tesco’s self service machines will take pennies and two pence pieces, and those nasty little five pence pieces. You sometimes have to queue because there are still a lot of folk who want to pay using cash.
I think if they make a 99 pence coin, shops will just start charging 98 pence instead…
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You love North Wales foxy. Do you ever remember going up Snowdon either by train (or probably jogged up in your case) to the old shop thing up there?

Here’s where I’m going with this. There used to be a machine up there which you could put (I think, it was a long time ago) 50p in in order to bend/flatten a 1p coin. How mad was that?

Yes Melgal, I was there and I think I remember the machine…

You were right also, I jogged up…2 hours up. 1 hour down…

1 Like

That piccie looks like the new building. Not been there yet.

Think the train took about 30mins, and far more relaxing!

1 Like

You don’t need to spend 50p. Just put your penny on a railway track and stand well back!

1 Like