Do you know how to use a defibrillator?

Yes, I am certified in CPR and heimlich. I have been for 20 years now, and here in the states we are required to recertify and take the 6 hour course every three years.
Procedures change, now we do chest compressions but no longer stop to breathe into the victim’s mouth to push air to the lungs. It is exhausting but usually there is someone else there to alternate with. The defibrillators are readily available in most businesses, malls, apartment bldgs, etc. Once they are powered up, they are programmed to talk you through the procedure step by step.
It may only be needed once in your lifetime, but I am willing to try it on someone if it is needed.

Hi

Yes, easiest thing to do is to take a combat medical course.

The ambulance chaser lawyers can get stuffed, I would always use a tourniquet, people bleed to death.

There is one round the corner to me, on the wall of the St John Ambulance building. I asked someone who was involved in installing them, about the code, and was told to ring 999, and it would be given. I was always under the impression that instructions were on the machine.

I used to do FAaW courses regularly, and found it changed each time, so doesn’t surprise me about complications arising from certain procedures.

Well you wouldn’t have any complaints if they didn’t survive :innocent:

There was a report on the tv the other day showing cctv footage of kids vandalising a defibrillator. So I’m afraid there are imbeciles about.

Yes. Just release it every 15 minutes, just for a few seconds to maintain some blood supply to the isolated limb.

Again this brings me back to the problem of ‘lenient Britain’.
The do-gooders got their way several years ago and made things much easier for the law-breakers: shorter prison sentences, or none at all; ‘four star’ prisons; no discipline in schools; no smacking by parents; hell, we’re even punished for shouting at misbehaving children.

Now, as a result, we hear daily of stabbings, especially in Londonistan; blind eyes being turned to girls being abused and raped by ‘certain members of society’; criminals charged with committing a crime, found guilty and immediately leaving court laughing their heads off.

Why shouldn’t our mentally challenged idiots vandalise defibrillators? They get away with everything else and, as a consequence, have been given the message that it is OK to do whatever you want as there will be no consequences for you.

1 Like

I quite agree .
I am fed up with myriad excuses for brats and er ‘ethnic minorities ‘ .

1 Like

The thing with rushing in to save someone’s life is that you should know what you are doing. The Good Samaritan law kicks in to protect this type of thing however that law only protects so far. If you cause more injury than help by being negligent then you can legally be sued.
It’s sad that people who might be rushing in to save a life has to deal with this but it is a reality.

In answer to the question. Yes and I have used one it worked but the gentleman sadly passed away on route to hospital.

1 Like

I wonder whether anyone can be sued for saving someone’s life when they are trying to end it?

I don’t know. It’s still illegal to commit suicide so I doubt it.

I was trained in CPR and mouth-to-mouth. As far as defibs are concerned, aren’t the instructions for use printed inside the box lid?

They are written large on the machine themselves.