Do You Ever Cook Yourself A ‘School Dinner’?

My absolute, all time favourite dessert at junior school was the lemon curd tart, a tray bake.

Until, that is, one memorable day when one of the dinner ladies caught me with my elbows on the table (this was a mortal sin!). I was made to wait till last to go up for mine. I was almost sick with worry that there wouldn’t be any left - when I finally was allowed to join the end of the queue, there was just one portion left, a corner piece which was virtually all overcooked pastry and hardly any filling.

I took this measly offering back to my table, fighting tears, and ultimately couldn’t eat it because I was too upset.

I didn’t eat lemon curd for over 20 years after that episode.

School dinners at Primary School were horrid - and came served on blue and yellow plastic plates with plastic cutlery (shudders). Fortunately I only had to suffer them for two weeks.

Grammar school was better. Everything cooked from fresh and nicely served.

My school dinners smelt better than they tasted.
Tapioca made me heave,frog spawn sprang to mind.
Choco slab and mint custard was a delight and rare too.

1 Like

Actually, it’s a delish sandwich from the lunch menu in my last two years of secondary school.

It’s called a Chuckwagon Sandwich. It includes a finger bun, 2-4 slices of processed ham, 2-4 slices of salami and one slice of either smoked cheese or what I call “plastic cheese” you know them dairy slices.

Microwave for 1 minute or two depending on how hot you want your sandwich to be. It’s opened face and once heated up pour French’s style mustard or any mustard you prefer, fold and enjoy.

Be warned, you’ll want a second one… Lol!

1 Like