Do we need to accept being poorer?

That’s because we cannot compete in a global market Primus…

1 Like

I’m talking 30+ years ago

2 Likes

That’s about the time I was made redundant from an engineering manufacturing job Primus…
They never recovered …

1 Like

Yes you do, bring back the antique prints of real poverty.

2 Likes

Everything changes, everything stays the same…… Cartoon from 1929

4 Likes

My x sister-in-law was a manager of a charity shop and it was her that told me they don`t pay rent.
I stand corrected Swimfeeders.

1 Like

Who was it that said we would be a nation of financiers? Maggie Thatcher. She sold off manufacturing wholesale and when asked how we would make a living - she said banking, insurance, etc. (What?? all of us??) Stupid woman. I agree that industry needed re-modelling, but not decimmating and sold off as it was. I believe, that along with worldwide events over which we had little control and Brexit it is Maggie to blame for where we are today. She made this country vulnerable and it was put in irreversible motion some 40 years ago when Maggie came to power with her unbending arrogance and cruelty. Nation of financiers my ar… She was deluded - The Bank of England is now saying we must all get used to being poorer. It beggars belief and the incompetence is staggering. There is no doubt in mind that there are some very rich people who will never be hurt and many others who will be left to work harder and lose ground and to suffer being a lot poorer and some who will be living in poverty. What a legacy to leave to our children - and I do blame Maggie in a large part for being so bloody minded and power driven. In answer to the question - yes we do have to accept it.This country has been kneecapped.

2 Likes

A GB…YouTube I watched layed the blame squarely with the Bank of England , its their job to keep inflation down at 2% it said , and the man who took over running B.O.E was previously in charge of something else that went down the pan , and hes not fit to be in charge but apparently his job is secure for 7 yrs no matter how he runs it …

1 Like

In the town town near us the high street is changing . No banks one at least is now a coffee shop , there are lots of coffee shops .
Two funeral directors
A coop / post office and a hardware store .
Two or three rather expensive clothes shops and one or two that sell cards .
One boots chemist .
Several estate agents .
Or really don’t see how they could become homes as several of them do have flats over the premises but there is no parking so they would really only be suitable to people who dont need a car .

2 Likes

It is telling when one looks at the profits of large supermarket chains.
Before Covid, their profits were $1 billion, during Covid, their profits were $1 billion, now? Their profits are $1 billion.
So, the supermarkets are not taking a hit while the rest of society is hurting.
Many products, when the price is increased, it increases by up to 30%. The supermarkets say they have been absorbing the increases but eventually prices must rise.
No one believes you, Mr CEO, you are stealing from the public to keep your shareholders content.
Depicable conduct.

2 Likes

Say one thing about Maggie…A lot of us now own our own homes because of her.
And interesting to note that Harold Wilson and James Callahan closed more pits than Maggie ever did.

Everybody has their own ideas how the country should be run, but at the end of the day it’s the very wealthy, powerful and influential who have the last word, and I don’t mean the government. It’s the people who lend us the money for the national debt…If you lent someone money wouldn’t you make sure that they used it sensibly?

I sort of agree Foxy, but, for a different reason.

Mortgages paid off, no consumer credit, bugger inflation, never had it so good, if you can carry on working. :laughing:

What you say is only partly true, like all central banks they are reactive because economic stats are always looking in the rear view mirror. ie they have deal with something that happened three months ago.

They may be slow to act but you can hardly blame them when the only tool they have is the blunt tool of interest rates.

Ultimately it is government monetary policy and world events that cause the problems.

This is who make the big decisions.

Remember when Kwasi was summoned to New York to attend a meeting of the IMF just after Liz Truss was elected as PM?
Remember him returning home and was immediately relieved of his job?
Liz was to follow shortly after…
The IMF are responsible for putting Rishi in the job of PM, even though most of the party had voted for Liz…Now tell me who pulls the strings?

In that particular case, thank Gawd somebody did!! :rage:

1 Like

Are you seriously saying the Cheese lady was the best person for the job of UK PM after that other numbskull? That her removal had nothing to do with the turmoil she caused but was actually a foreign plot?

2 Likes

I’m not saying anything. How would you interpret the fact that Kwasi was summoned to an urgent meeting of the IMF and upon his return he was removed from his position?
Truss followed shortly after. The party must have had credence with her and Kwasi’s manifesto or else they wouldn’t have elected them.
Apparently, the IMF didn’t like it, and had them removed. Not a foreign plot (or was that you trying to make it look like a conspiracy theory Bruce?) any country who borrow money from the IMF are ultimately subject to their rules…Even Australia!
Quote:-
$894.9 billion
This continues the trend of increasing debt since the Global Financial Crisis (GFC). Since the beginning of the pandemic, Australian Government gross debt has increased from $534.4 billion in March 2019 to $894.9 billion as of 28 October 2022.

Truss and Kwasi were never given the chance to make any changes, because Sunak was always going to be the new PM with Hunt as his henchman. And to justify Truss’s dismissal, the IMF aided by the media discredited both Truss and Kwasi making them look like amateurs and fools…It was a ploy to ensure they would be removed from office and most people bought it, including you Bruce…

You should have stopped there, I did.

Thanks Rishi and Hunt for giving me a rise in my state pension… :+1:
Unfortunately, the rise puts me in the tax bracket, and my personal works pensions have had £20 a month stopped in tax…So that practically negates any rise in my state pension… :-1:
Something about taking from Peter to pay Paul?
:open_mouth: