Dinner- do you plate up or serve themselve?

So, when you cook dinner, do you put it on the plate and serve it?

Or do you put the food in dishes on the table and let them serve themselves

For family and friends who I know what they like, I always plate it up on nice hot plates

But if we have guests who’s tastes I’m not sure of, it’s dishes on the table and help themselves to what they like

Plate up the meat, whatever that might be, but they self serve from veg on the table.

1 Like

our dinner table is in the kitchen, most of the time when we don’t have guests, the plates go on the table and I serve veg from the saucepan. The main goes on the table in the dish/skillet it was cooked in: we help ourselves.

I do like suppers like cauliflower-cheese, fish-pie etc … cooked in one dish in the oven, and we help ourselves at the table.

1 Like

We, my wife actually, plates up. I just eat.

1 Like

I do a bit of both - like you.
I put everything in Serving dishes if I have guests for lunch or dinner - or on special occasions.
For routine everyday meals for just me or if my fella is here, we tend to serve straight from pans / baking trays/ roasting dishes directly onto hot plates on the kitchen worktop - unless it’s something that’s been baked or cooked in a hob/oven-to-table type casserole or serving dish which is easy to serve from the table.

Himself and I have a good idea of each other’s food preferences and appetite levels - and we are often in the kitchen/dining area together when the meal is ready for serving - so it doesn’t seem worth making more washing-up by using serving dishes if we don’t need to.

Whichever way I serve the food, I like to make sure all the plates and serving dishes / jugs are pre-heated to keep the food as hot as possible.

1 Like

Plate it up, so that everyone gets the same, so people or more greedy then others.

2 Likes

Everything normally gets plated up , Christmas and new year mrs,p usually does a buffet, then everyone helps themselves

1 Like

With twin 4yr olds in the household, I always plate up. Can you just imagine the mess those girls would make :wink::grin:

1 Like

Hubby and I, during the 80s and on our travelling contract days, enjoyed a catering place that was full of future hospitality/restaurant students.

They had the most magnificent buffets and that was help yourself. We loved those…

Whenever I’ve eaten at my sister’s, say at Christmas time, or more recently at her eldest son’s, we helped ourselves. I much prefer that, then we can decide for ourselves how much we get on the plate.

I very rarely have guests for a meal, and then usually just my sister. It would be a small meal so plated up, like when I did a mixed grill at the caravan recently.

I plate it up, my old granny used to say “First feed the eyes”

me cook??? your joking of course, I even have trouble boiling water