Diesel Heaters - aka 'free' fuel heaters

Wonder how many people are opting to use these now? You can use red diesel or waste oil…

1 Like

This is very interesting .
I think I just might set the house on fire though .

4 Likes

Not for me as I’m accident prone :rofl:

1 Like

My car mechanic has got a massive one in his garage, he uses diesel, petrol as well I think to keep it going, I’m taking my car there soon, so I will take a pic of it, if he allows me.

I kid you not, it’s absolutely boiling in his garage, I couldn’t believe how much heat it gives out, …

2 Likes

I suppose, they would be good if you want your house to smell like a fairground, or a chippy!

3 Likes

Dangerous in my hands

1 Like

I’m seriously not tempted!
Reminds me of an old song by The Move.
Call the Fire Brigade.
A bit before my time I hasten to add.

1 Like

Anyone know if those little Alpha heaters are any good ?

1 Like

Heating is not really a problem for me but I follow a pommie bloke who has installed several in his vans

1 Like

As a nipper we had a coal fire in the living room which pretty much heated the whole house, but when it got really cold we had a paraffin heater to keep the rooms warm that the heat from the coal fire didn’t reach. You are right Arty, it smelt like a garage in the kitchen…
But it was warm and cosy…
:sweat:

2 Likes

From Google:

Modern models use ceramic elements, which get more resistant as they get hotter (they have a “positive thermal coefficient”). This means they produce heat more quickly and retain it better, making them cheaper to run than fan heaters used to be — as long as you use the thermostat wisely.

If that’s all they’re good for (better than a fan heater - which are known to be super expensive to run) then I’d probably avoid…

My Gran had a free standing paraffin heater in her front room. It was a long time ago but I’m sure that my eyes would start to smart after an hour or so while we sat and watched TV.
Thank God that it didn’t get knocked over.

1 Like

I am a bit of the hydrocarbon freak, I loved the smell of the kero heater when I lived in the UK (I like the smell of LNG powered forklifts too).

When I first bought this house it had an oil heater (basically diesel) and a massive tank on the side of the house but like the diesel heaters the actual diesel fumes were vented outside and hot air pumped into the room/house. I used to bring home 5 litres of fuel every night from my work but after a couple of years realised the heater was actually rarely used so I dismantled it and sold the tank and it’s stand.

Actually that wasn’t a problem, if they were even tilted a spring loaded cover snapped down over the wick to extinguish the flame long before it actually hit the ground

Nothing freaky about that Bruce. I always loved the smell of the paraffin heater. I suppose being brought up with one in the house when it was cold, always reminded me of a cosy and friendly home, like the smell of Mum’s home baked bread.
I also love the smell of petrol fumes. probably because my Dad kept his motorbike in the old wooden shed at the bottom of the garden and it was my ‘Go To’ place when I needed to be on my own or practice riding this monster machine, I resembled a flee on a dogs back, and my feet couldn’t even touch the footrests and gear change lever. That shed was a mystical and magic world to a young boy.

The paraffin heater had the fuel stored in a big glass jar with a spring valve on the top. If it fell over the spring would cut off the fuel. I don’t think the paraffin was all that inflammable on it’s own, if I recall, you could quench a lighted match out in the liquid…
Don’t try this at home though…
:boom: