Didn't see our Jem once!

Been there a couple of times. Wonderful city, and I just love the people. Once, I’d hired a car and was trying to find my way through the suburbs, totally lost with lots of roadworks going on, so lots of diversions in place - the mapbook was useless (this was long ago, way before satnavs).

In one traffic queue a woman jumped out of the car in front and ran up to us, knocking on the window. I wound it down and she said “Are you lost? Sorry, you just looked as if you didn’t know which way to go next and thought I’d ask if you needed any help.” Bless her heart, I told her where I was trying to get to and she said “Oh you’ll never find that by yourself in this chaos, I’ll take you there, just follow me”. And she did. Once we got there, I got out of my car to thank her profusely and only then discovered she had been on her way to pick her teenage son up from his football practice. I was mortified, because now she’d be about half an hour late. “Sure, it’s no trouble at all, he can wait, he’s a big boy now, it won’t hurt him”, she said, laughing.

Yes, wonderful people :shamrock:

3 Likes

I’m delighted you enjoyed your visit Rhian.

Yes I miss the live music too, it always makes a good night better., but it will be back soon.

You didn’t see me as I was tucked away in the ‘snug’ of my local with three gorgeous girls… the wife 76, and two of her sisters 79 and 91, boy can they yap when they are together, so romantic listening to them talking about the cost of living, and the usual “I remember when you could go to the pictures, buy a tub of ice cream and a big bag of popcorn, get two loose woodbines, and then get the bus home, and all for sixpence”, bless them, for I can remember it two. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Dublin has changed an awful lot since I worked in the city centre, I get lost in it now meself. :wink:

When I worked in a place on the quays I had to do a half days work on a Saturday, then when we’d finish at 1pm we’d all go into Jim Moran’s pub at the Ha’penny Bridge (used to be owned by the singer Joseph Locke), we used to have the Welch lads over during the rugby season, there was always great craic in the pubs with them, they knew how to enjoy themselves and nicer fellas you couldn’t meet, ah happy days and great memories. :smiley:

4 Likes

Indeed it is! So glad you enjoyed your trip, Rhian.

On the Luas?

On the Luas?

Not sure what that is @SilverTabby !
Train from Prestatyn to Holyhead
Irish Ferries’ Dublin Swift catamaran
And then a taxi to the hotel!!

The Luas is the very efficient Dublin tram service!

1 Like

Ah yes I did see it many times!! :grin:
And yes it did seem an excellent, regular and clean tram service :clap:

It is excellent. If you ever plan to go again it may be worthwhile to buy a ‘Leap Ticket’. They sell them at the Airport and most Information Centres - you can even buy them on line now! :-

[quote] The Leap Visitor Card is the most convenient public transport card available for tourists and visitors to Dublin. Get unlimited travel over your selected time period on Airlink, Dublin Bus, Go-Ahead Ireland routes in Dublin, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail. You can even travel to and from the Airport at the start and end of your trip without any additional charge. Leap Visitor is not valid on the Hop on/Hop off tour or other special tour services.

Depending on how long you plan on staying, you can choose from a number of options and find one that best suits your visit.

1 day (24 hours) – €10.00
3 days (72 hours) – €19.50
7 days (168 hours) – €40.00

Your chosen time period starts from the first time you use the card. [/quote]

2 Likes

Glad you had a good time, though the letdown of missing Jem must be disappointing. No surprise that you were treated warmly, everyone I’ve ever met from Dublin are salt-of-the-earth.

I imagine the passage was sensational!

Pass the photos, please!

1 Like

Surfermom!
How lovely to see you back x

Yes photos…
I’ll get on it

Processing: 20210816_172701.mp4…

1 Like

https://youtu.be/ttF1VJLRtxw

1 Like

https://youtu.be/zfA3Har-ESU

1 Like

@Rhian Great photos - I feel quite homesick now!

1 Like

Are you from Dublin itself @SilverTabby Tabs?

Great pics Rhian, did you empty those two Guinness glasses? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@Mags Not on my own I didn’t!!

Yes - from Clontarf - a suburb on the coast. Was born on the kitchen floor of my Grandmother’s house at 06:15am gmt on January morning and - trust me - quarry tiles are cold! :grin:

1 Like

Wow!
Do you still have family there?

Yes - Not immediate family - but lots of cousins scattered about the place. It’s good to go home and catch up with the craic - and the Guinness!

1 Like