Der Bomber (Gerd Muller) died

Those of a sports liking will know who I mean, legendary German footballer Gerd Muller has died.
I remember the goal against England in 1970.

2 Likes

1,251 goals in 998 games for Bayern, and 68 in 62 for Germany.
not bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, some finisher.

1 Like

He was called “The bomber of the nation” which makes the word sound a bit less martial. Sad that he couldn’t really enjoy his well-deserved retirement since he’d been suffering from Alzheimer’s disease for years in a nursing home.
What made him special was that he managed to score goals from almost any position, lying on the ground, in squatting position, standing up, and from almost any angle like his famous goal in the World Cup final 1974.

1 Like

Wonder if its related to heading the ball.(Alzheimer’s)

It might be with some players at least because of those micro brain injuries caused by headers.

It just occurred to me that the phrase “Es hat wieder gemullert.” (It “mullered” again.) was coined at his time meaning that Gerd Mueller had scored a goal or more. When current Bayern Munich player Thomas Muller looked like following in Gerd Muller’s footsteps the phrase started being used again. But then it turned out his footprints proved too large to fill.

1 Like

No ones boots can be filled from a previous era imo, they are all different .

You might think so but, then again, there’s this Lewandowski of Bayern Munich who happened to break one of Gerd Muller’s records by scoring 41 goals in the last season. Paul Breitner, Gerd Muller’s team mate, said about Lewandowski that he were of such a " giant qualitiy" and had that “greed for goals” which he hadn’t seen in anyone for five decades since Gerd Muller.

Polish isn’t he.

Yes, he is. Mario Gomez considers him to be the most versatile forward in the world and Giovane Elber thinks that there are no typical Lewandowski goals because he’s an allrounder.
Breitner, BTW, also said that Gerd Muller would “cluck his tongue” if he could watch Lewandowki’s goals from the terrace.