Decanting milk tips?

Are you talking about the Soya, Almond and Oat type ‘milks’ Bakerman?
Over here they come in cartons too, and have very different life exectancies and storage instructions to fresh cows milk.

I have seen some kept on shop shelves, and some on the cold shelves so wasn’t sure of the correct way to store these as I have 2 or 3 myself incase I am ill and can’t get out. So I phoned the manufacturers to ask.

They said storage of these depends on what is written on the outer carton. I have some Unsweetened Soya milk with an expiry date of November '20 and it doesn’t need refridgeration till it’s opened.
Yet I have some Oat Milk which says on the storage instructions it has to be refridgerated to store it.

Just to confuse us a little more, the lady told me some cartons have “Perfectly Chilled” written in bigger letters on the front of the box, and these one’s must be kept refridgerated all the time.
They have to be used within 5 days of opening.

I find them quite pleasant, and certainly handy to keep incase you can’t get out for any reason.

A Rubice Cube. :slight_smile:

:lol::lol:

Yes Mups, they are basically the equivalent of fresh and long life but not made from milk. I haven’t tried them but the OAT-LY brand is very popular.

You are a human though Ray, and milk provides many things that your body needs each day…Look at this…

NUTRITION
[I]5 Ways That Drinking Milk Can Improve Your Health
Milk has been enjoyed throughout the world for thousands of years.

By definition, it’s a nutrient-rich fluid that female mammals produce to feed their young.

The most commonly consumed types come from cows, sheep and goats.

Western countries drink cow’s milk most frequently.

Milk consumption is a hotly debated topic in the nutrition world, so you might wonder if it’s healthy or harmful.

Below are 5 science-backed health benefits of milk so you can decide if it’s the right choice for you.

1. Milk Is Packed With Nutrients
    The nutritional profile of milk is impressive.

After all, it’s designed to fully nourish newborn animals.

Just one cup (244 grams) of whole cow’s milk contains (2):

Calories: 146
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 8 grams
Calcium: 28% of the RDA
Vitamin D: 24% of the RDA
Riboflavin (B2): 26% of the RDA
Vitamin B12: 18% of the RDA
Potassium: 10% of the RDA
Phosphorus: 22% of the RDA
Selenium: 13% of the RDA
Milk is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including “nutrients of concern,” which are under-consumed by many populations.

It provides potassium, B12, calcium and vitamin D, which are lacking in many diets.

Milk is also a good source of vitamin A, magnesium, zinc and thiamine (B1).

Additionally, it’s an excellent source of protein and contains hundreds of different fatty acids, including conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and omega-3s.

Conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids are linked to many health benefits, including a reduced risk of diabetes and heart disease.

The nutritional content of milk varies, depending on factors like its fat content and the diet and treatment of the cow it came from.

For example, milk from cows that eat mostly grass contains significantly higher amounts of conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acids.

Also, organic and grass-fed cow’s milk contains higher amounts of beneficial antioxidants, such as vitamin E and beta-carotene, which help reduce inflammation and fight oxidative stress (12
[/I]

Sorry mart I meant to say ‘Rubiks’ cube…:blush:

We get the larger jugs of milk Pesta and I am sure we keep it once opened longer than three days. It never stays out of the fridge and we have never suffered any ill effects. I never realised it shouldn’t be kept longer than three days and use my nose and eyes to check it is OK.

That is the absolute best way Aerolor…:023:

I always buy a four pint bottle of milk. I use it until it smells and that’s maybe three days after it’s sell by date. I use the rest of the milk to make Soda bread or use it in cake mixture.
I have never suffered any ill effects and like to think l am generally healthy except for the usual ‘in the family’ inherited things.

I have frozen two single pints of milk in my freezer. There was some left over (not gone off) milk that l put in a plastic container and froze it to use in cakes.

There’s a saying, ‘You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die’. I firmly believe in that.

I use Soya milk Mups, the difference is the ones in the chilled section are short life and need to be kept chilled and the ones on the normal shop shelves are long-life Soya milk which can be kept out of the fridge for days/weeks before they are opened …once opened they are kept in the fridge.

It wasn’t that OGF, just my play on words. :slight_smile: You had written ‘Rubics’ and I changed it to Rubice as in Rubeice cubes

OK, I know it isn’t that funny. :slight_smile:

I remember some years ago, a farmer was experimenting with freezing milk directly inside the cows. Of course, this meant that the cows themselves had to be frozen on a daily basis. At a set time each day, there was this woman in big glasses who would come round and defrost them. Now, what was her name?

:017:

Ah yes, that’s it… Thora Hird

:mrgreen:

:018: :019:

A 4pint container of green top milk lasts us about 6 days. It stays in the fridge.

Ditto, Percy :023: If your milk goes off after only 3 days there’s something wrong with your fridge! They are only covering their backsides by saying consume within 3 days, it’s fine!
If you have the room, decant enough to last you a few days and freeze the rest in the original container (I think someone may have already suggested that)

You can buy long life (UHT) cows milk in cartons that only needs refridgerating once opened. It’s fine, doesn’t taste that much different.

Thanks for all the advice Swimmy, will bin it after 3 days. If there’s no shortage, that’s made me feel a tad better.

Aerolor, a few years ago I kept feeling vaguely unwell after drinking my cuppas and thought I was going to have to give tea up again. (I went through a few years being unable to stomach it).

Anyway, whilst leaning idly against the units waiting for the kettle to boil, I started reading the milk container and was gobsmacked it said use within 3 days. :surprised:
I’d go well over the 3 days with my pint.

I’m quite sensitive to foodstuff. You get folk who can eat/drink something that’s ‘just on the turn’ and it never affects them.
Me, well… an entirely different story :shock: :smiley:

Thanks Jazzi, haven’t seen those. They look so much better than those old rigid ice cube trays we all used to have.

Don’t put it in a test tube :smiley:

:043::043::043:

:022:

Yes, I found it confusing at first Mags, with some chilled and some not, but as you say, there is a difference in some cartons so I have to look what I’m doing. :slight_smile: