Dash cams recommendations?

Have you tried both front and rear ports? Sometimes rear work better than front …

Not tried it to be honest now I have reset to work in W7 mode.

tI is a strange one, works ok in dashcam screen and direct from computer after video download.

My thoughts are the actual dashcam unit is/was a slow card reader? so I have also uploaded to the latest version 5.4 so got to try that out as well

Anway I can now watch the videos on the dashcam downloaded software via putting the videos onto the computer first, then pulling them onto the program as suggested.

My wifes dashcam when plugged into the computer the dot moves in the left/right/fast/slow display but with mine it doesn’t. or as I said before the update, got to check that out

I tend to remove/replace the card and leave the camera in the car so and read from the card but I’ve just tried every which way on my laptop without, apparently, any problem.

Currently, I’m on Version 5.4.

Very sensible.

Personally, I can’t understand why some people in this country don’t bother with them. With the high incidence of road traffic incidents in this country, I can’t imagine why everyone doesn’t have a dashcam for their own protection.

It would seem that some Uk insurance companies are giving discounts if you have one installed. This information I was told.

I have run a few more tests.

I copied the Nextbase video folder to my desktop and replayed the video files from there.

With Nextbase Replay3 in Windows 10 mode, I get “jerky” replay but only in full-screen. The same seems to happen in Windows 8 mode, in full-screen only but, as you say, Windows 7 mode seems to replay normal and fulllscreen smoothly.

I then retried Datakam Player. I overrode the “connection” problems and the movie replayed smoothly in normal and fullscreen.

I also tested the same movie on VLC and WMP - no “Replay 3” bells and whistles but video and audio played perfectly.

We bought a Nextbase 402G back in March and so far have used it in our own car and two hire cars abroad (which is why we haven’t hard wired it into our car). The only time it’s been out of any of the cars is to download the content of the SD card which was occasionally in Spain and France (if the scenery was particularly good) and almost every night while we were in the States (because the scenery was fantastic). We don’t use the Nextbase software; just play the .mov files using the laptop or desktop’s default software. This works on Windows 7 or 10. OH reviews the clips from the SD card, making a note of which ones to transfer to the computer hard drive, transfers and saves those he’s chosen then deletes all from the SD card.

The dashcam was bought partly for ‘insurance/peace of mind’ but mainly for the trip to the States as previous attempts at recording movies of the scenery with a hand held camera weren’t brilliant. We have been very impressed with the ‘movies’ it records and now Christmas is over we will be able to settle down and make proper edited ‘movies’ from the ‘footage’ from the States. My husband has a bad memory (?Old age/early onset dementia?) but photos and movies of our holidays are a great trigger for his memory and provide enormous enjoyment in the making and subsequent watching.

I wouldn’t want to get into an argument with other posters but my understanding is that sat nav and dash cam theft isn’t high unless one parks in known dodgy places in which case the vehicle itself might be the primary target. Also, if you remove the dash cam when you leave the vehicle it won’t record the idiot who reverses into your car when it’s parked which is one of the really brilliant uses of the technology in the first place.

We use the sucker fittings for both sat nav and dash cam and they rarely fail unless there is a lot of temperature change (eg Freezing to 80F in Montana in one day in June !). They are removed and replaced every so often when the windscreen is cleaned anyway so the ‘suck’ gets refreshed.

Hope we never have to use ours in anger but we love it for the movies.

Ok found the solution for a Nextbase 312GW causing video to jump.

The Micro SD card needs upgradeing to take the latest dashcam version.

This is done by formatting the card- downloading the lastest version -transferring onto micro SD card.

This is where I went wrong

I power the nextbase 312GW via the computer and inserted the micro SD card into the unit.

Wrong as doing it this way sends the information into the what is called “Mass storage” and not the unit proper

So what you have to do is this

This is done by formatting the card- downloading the lastest version -transferring onto micro SD card.As before

Now instead of using the computer to power it up you either need to use a power source from the car–or-- using a mains plug with a USB 2 outlet.

Doing it this way bypasses the “Mass storage” feature and puts the information fron the micro SD card into the correct section of the dashcam memory.

More testing today revealed that, although Replay 3 seems to work OK in Windows 7 mode, “MOV” files are best played in VLC.

Maybe there’s a problem with the codec for Replay 3?

I’ll be contacting Nextbase support.

Thats what i found and contacted nextbase and they suggested downloading a codec from another site which doesn’t work. This problem has been reported to nextbase for the past 18 months at least, and they still havn’t bothered to get it sorted

This entire discussion seems ridiculous TBH.

Here’s the thing.

There exist and have always existed STANDARD video formats, be they MOV files, VID files, MPEG files and so on.

So the situation is very simple.

Either those NextBase cameras ARE producing proper standard video files in one of those accepted formats . . . . or they are not.

So which is it?

If they are producing video clips in standard formats then you should absolutely be able to play those clips on any computer regardless of whether it is Win 7,8 or 10, the caveat there being that the O/S DOES support that standard video format.

If you have video clips from the dashcam in say MOV format and they don’t play properly, but then other MOV files produced elsewhere (maybe downloaded of the internet) DO work, then it’s pretty clear that the dashcam is crap and is not recording to standard.

MOV files either work on your PC or they do not
MPEG files either work on your PC or they do not.
same for all video formats

My Mobius Dashcam uses a standard video format and the content I get from it runs perfectly on ANY video play software. My preference at the moment is to use the freely downloadable VLC Player to view any footage.

I have no idea why someone would want to use any “proprietary” software to view video files.

Just download VLC Player or similar defacto globally used video play software and use that to view footage.

A dashcam exists solely to capture footage

Once you move footage from the camera to the PC the dashcam should take no further part, nor should any of its software imo.

TBH having read 100s of bad reviews of NextBase dashcams I would never buy one.

I count myself fortunate to have done the proper research and to have bought the brilliant miniature Mobius Action cameras at roughly £55 each. One for front, one for back. Absolutely priceless things.

Realist
this happens if you play the recordings though the nextbase dashcam onto the computer

Or downloading direct onto the dashcam playback 3 from the dashcam unit itself

Not after downloading onto the computer and playing them from there. My dashcam videos are ok straight off the computer.

I don’t think you understand with all due respect ,as you don’t own one

Exactly … any video player, e.g. VLC, MPC, will play the video element of the MOV file but only specific software, i.e. Replay 3 for the 312GW, will display the other elements that have been recorded, as in the example attached.

I just bought a car cam for £4.99

I just bought a CAR CAM for £4.99.
Yes that’s correct £4.99.
I saw on Amazon an ‘Apeman 1080 FHD’ reduced from £109.99 to £29.99. (Old model) there are a few going at that price direct from manufacturers.
So I read the reviews, watched the videos, and thought I can get that cheaper. So I ordered one.
How I got it for £4.99?
I had a voucher for £25 that I used. Free post by the way. Expect it to arrive from the local drop box on Tuesday.

Now that’s what I call a bargain!

I’ve never heard of that brand but Amazon buyers give the camera good reviews and 4.5 stars so it must be good … :023:

Sounds like a good bargain!

Yes, sounds like a good bargain. Although I’m happy with the one I’ve got, I could be interested.

How is it at reading number plates?
How is it at night?

From the videos on YouTube, it looks good. Of course as I said I read the reviews and videos before I ticked the box to buy.

does it have sound. After all one does not just want to see your car crumple in a crash but hear the noise as well :confused:

Yes. And g force, and motion detect, and 2 types of widow stickers, and night vision, and its small, and you need a card, and it’s cheap.