DART MISSION Bulls eye!

Typical. I just bought a house on Dimorphos, sold to me by a very nice chap I met in Matalan a week ago. He seemed so trustworthy too.

Indeed, they will only reply to a specific question?

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Oh dear!

Yep. My neighbours were to include a Mrs E Windsor and Mr E Presley, both of whom sounding extremely charming.

1 Like

I feel sorry for the pilot

2 Likes

I think they should pack it in

I had a real fear they’d knock the little one into the big one, snooker style and set it on a trajectory straight towards us! :scream:

Forget nature, I think the Dimorphins are quite pi$$ed off and will be sending one of their own planet shifting craft back in due course…

1 Like

DIaMORPHINES i USE THEM TO GO TO SLEEP EACH NIGHT! NEARLY THERE AND THEN THESE DAMNED CAPITALS WILL STOP!!

Somewhat simplistic @Donkeyman dont you think ? Taking 2 from 2 is a little easier than hitting a moving target through the atmosphere ( which could have altered the trajectory) .
Have you ever tried hitting a moving target with an air rifle ? Principal is similar so why so many misses ?
Artillery fire? Targets not even moving but very often the target is missed but on paper it’s easy .

@Jaded , Ah but, you are talking about ballistics !!
Whereas the space vehicles are capable of adjusting their trajectories
several t imes on their journey !! :thinking::thinking:

Very true @Donkeyman my friend but as we’ve discussed on paper it’s simpler only through actual event experience can the trajectory be realised… obviously on paper it would be rocket A hits meteorite B at X point but in reality B could slow , be hit by something else and alter trajectory or gain momentum due to planetary interference so the only true result can be gained by the actual event

@Jaded , Yeah, nothing like reality really l spose ?:thinking::thinking:

1 Like

A fantastic achievement.

@Cinderella , They knew where this asteroid was going !!
Do they still know where it’s going now ?? :-1::worried::worried::-1:

1 Like

Wasn’t it in orbit around something bigger? I am sure I read that the collision had varied the orbit by something like 30 seconds.

@Bruce , Could be, they said it was going faster now ??
which implies that they hit it up the arse ?
faster means the orbit will increase ? - - - - - - - ?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

How is anyone’s recall of Kepler’s laws of planetary motion holding up? From memory, orbits are elliptical rather than circular, with the sun (or in this case some other body?) being one of the two focal points, and with equals areas being traced out in equal times. Have I got those correct, since the last time I had to cite them was in 1982?

Do you think they have created an additional problem, not yet realized.

Two years after DART’s fireworks at Dimorphos, the European Space Agency will launch a mission called Hera to study Didymos and Dimorphos in depth. This will allow scientists to analyze DART’s impact crater and understand the mission’s full effect.

It pushed two asteroids closer together, to alter the orbit with the hope that this method could be used to nudge one off a collision course with Earth.

A more pressing thought would be the destruction of the Moon.