Damp works ahead?

Why airbrick I ask? why not just an small air vent such and used for roof gutter facings. one or two could easily be fitted to the side of the meter box, after all that is all you need to give air circulation

What I am thinking is the same as Realspeed suggested below if the damp is confined to the meter box itself, just an idea but would certainly do no harm in any case. :blush:
When I first suggested an air brick I was assuming the meter cupboard was internal, and not an external meter box. Anyway, maybe worthwhile tossing the idea around with your builders?

Now come on everyone. Please pay attention! There is an internal, and a external meter box. The problem is in the internal one, which doesn’t have a wide enough wall, to the outside, for an air brick, or vent. Which I can see. I did speak to the guy earlier, and he said an air brick can be fitted, but it wouldn’t solve the problem. Problem with him is, he is a talker, repeats himself, repeats my name in every sentence, keeps on about the years he’s been in business, won’t let me get a word in edgeways, but I am having delays in other companies getting back to me for an inspection date.

1 Like

@Jazzi I’m on the laptop now Jan and can see the pictures much better. Yes, it does look like your bay has damp problems anyway and needs doing and I can now understand hoe your internal meter box is constructed, so I agree that the d.p.c. needs sorting out but I would still recommend having some sort of air vent fitted to the cupboard if possible as part of the work. These days tube vents can be fitted just by drilling a couple of holes and any air circulation to that area would certainly help, as a single skin of masonry direct to the outside will always attract condensation.

ETA such as this… 5 x Blue/Black Drill Weep Vents Round Vent Cavity, Rendered, Retaining Walls : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Thanks Barry.

The problem I face is the other companies not getting back to me. I have called 5 more. One can’t get out to me till 14/9, the others I have left voice mail messages. One I did speak to, his wife, but I might be too far from him, he is Norwich, I am Lowestoft.

It is so frustrating. I missed one call at 2.03, as I left the church concert I went to, but dashed to the retail park without checking my phone or taking off silent mode.

Jan, see my edit above… :yum:

Thanks Barry. I will put that to whichever company comes to do the work.

1 Like

Had one company call me from Checkatrade. He reckons on condensation. However, I again have to wait for a call back with an appt date, which might be next week, or week after! Grrr.

In the meantime I will keep the cupboard doors slightly ajar, and have the damp trap in there.

I don’t suppose there’s any mad rush Jan as it looks like it’s been like it for awhile, but letting warm air in without any circulation will probably not achieve anything, as it’s the warm air inside meeting the cold masonry which causes the condensation in the first place. If it were me I’d probably put a bowl of salt in the cupboard (which absorbs moisture) and keep the door closed until some ventilation can be arranged, and insulating the back of the cupboard door could even help if there is room to do it. :wink:

I did state there is a crystal damp trap in there. Next time I am out I will look into getting refillable containers.

So you did Jan, perhaps I’d better shut up now… lol

No worries! :grin::grin:

have you ever heard of these

Morning. Well one bloke I spoke to yesterday reckoned it is condensation and that the bay would have been constructed according to proper building regs, including a dpc. I am waiting for his call back next week with an appt.

Easy enough for a builder to check if the is a dpc installed, would take around 5 minutes, and worth doing anyway for piece of mind before any major or unnecessary work is carried out. :wink:

Yes, I will get the inspector(s) to check.

1 Like

Had someone come round this evening. He will quote for drilling some holes into that wall inside the cupboard, and fitting vents over them. And also to apply a proper paint inside. I will apply the mould cleaner again.

He knew that guy I had before. Didn’t have to say his name. He did! Apparently he is not to be touched with a barge pole and is slightly unscrupulous. Eeeek.

£95. Told him he’s got the job. That includes materials.

1 Like

Sorry Jan, only just seen this post I’ve always been a bit on the slow side!

I do so hope it does the job and solves the problem but worth a try for £95, certainly sounds better than £850! :thinking:

Anyway it’s what I would do in the first instance. Hope your man does a decent job for you. :blush:

He did, thanks Barry. Gave it a second coat, put the floor vents in and then the carpet. I have put some other stuff in the cupboard now, handy for some dog stuff.