Cutting Heating Costs

I am in a very fortunate position of paying the same amount for heating all throughout the year, so it makes no difference how much I use throughout the winter time. Its rubbish in the summer, obviously, having to pay the same rate, but gosh…I am so grateful to be cosy right now - especially with snow forecast up here at the end of the month :astonished:

1 Like

Hi

No choice now, I have heart failure.

I can’t bear being cold. We have oil central heating and it’s very efficient and our house is always lovely and warm. We have thermostats on all the radiators and we have double glazing, cavity wall insulation and loads in the loft too. We have it on a timer from 7 - 10 am and then from 4-10pm. I am never cold in the day and often I am not in anyway.

How does that force you to turn your heating down to 21c?

Ours never goes above 17.

WOW! I could not live in your home. I run my house tween 19 (night set back) and 23 during waking hours. The timer controls night set back and in reality, the system is monitoring the house zones 365 days a year.

We’ve not had it on yet.

1 Like

Errr…what? You must be so lucky with the warm weather!

1 Like

Haven’t found it cold yet, mild south west.

We live in a small terraced house, with a combi boiler we switch on when needed, the place is warm in 15-20 minutes. We do have a timer to fire up the boiler at 06:00, which we activate in the winter months. I removed the batteries from the wireless thermostat ten year ago, we’ve no patience for that. We like a blast of hot when we come in on a cold day, then open some windows as we start cooking.

Keeping active is the secret to keeping warm. I’m sorry for those that can’t.

1 Like

Off topic but down South, cooling costs are a ripper!

1 Like

Hi

Nope, it means turning my heating up to 21C.

Cold air cuts the blood supply, it decreases the capacity of the blood vessels to supply oxygen.

Heart Failure results in many changes to normal life.

My wife has the condition and it’s supposedly controlled with two meds, but we keep the living rooms at 23c. I reckon 21c is too cool.

Hi

I am on 17 basic tablets a day, and it does vary according to the blood tests.

"21C is what the medics say.

Oooooh, can I come and stay you then Pixie… :grinning:
I love snow and I bet you anything you like, we won’t get any :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well, 21C is comfortable indoors I suppose. What about when you go outdoors?

In my last house, which was incredibly warm, even when whatever year it was we had -17, my thermo never kicked in which was always set at 15.

In this bungalow, I did the same when I first came here - ie thermo at 15. But this place is such a cold place and as it’s lower down and surrounded by trees, it retains a cool damp feeling. So, sometimes I up it to 17 and it feels happier.

When it was cold a couple of years ago (I think it was), it needed more so I upped it to 18.
Any higher and I don’t think my sinuses could cope with it.

As soon as a single snowflake hits the pavement, Pesta, we are doing a house swap, I can assure you! :+1:

1 Like

My house is a little 2 bed terraced . The stairs go up from the lounge so I shut the doors on the landing . The heat goes up stairs and the landing is always warmer than downstairs. I like being warm and have mine on 21 in the evening but 19 or 20 during the day.

I’ll be putting more layers on

Concerned for young families who are struggling financially though

1 Like

:grin: :grin: