Curry - one more misused term in the English language

I am prompted by the discussion about eggs & our sometimes ( often ? ) :innocent: :wink: misuse of the English language.

Similarly our misuse of the word curry ( something that was explained to me many years ago )

Maybe it’s not dissimilar in some ways to the old British usage of Biro when actually referring to any brand of ball point pen. Or “Hoover the floor” when actually meaning to vacuum the floor.

But I digress.

The following links will explain it better

and

and

Now that is some " food for thought " eh ? :grin:

1 Like

I don’t think it matters, though?

I know cultural appropriation is a big no-no now

But we liked the “curry” flavours and made them into our own and something we like and call curry. And the UK balti was invented in Birmingham.
UK people will remember school dinner curry with raisins in it :rofl:

The same with sphaghetti Bolognaise, what we cook up here is nothing like anything in Italy!

But I think it’s rather endearing to think of all those UK households cooking up their own family version

We’ve simply nicked the ideas and made them into UK dishes :rofl:

Every man I’ve ever dated thought his version of sphaghett bolognese was the best in the universe :star_struck:

When I first came to Australia I thought the Curry Meat Pie was a bit of a joke but these days I love 'em.

If Curry does not exist, how do you explain the Sunday morning toilet experience?

The first article said the woman using the term was from Arizona. Maybe it’s a regional thing. If people use the term curry for Indian food, what do they call Thai curries or Japanese curry?

I used to love a Thai green curry from a certain restaurant. The next Thai restaurant had a very different Thai green curry. I went to the library to look up what was in the Thai green curry I liked. I found a book with curries from around the world. It showed the different spice blends from different regions in the world. But it didn’t answer what was in the Thai green curry that I liked. I did, however, have a fascination for spice blends after reading that book.

1 Like

spitfire said

“If Curry does not exist, how do you explain the Sunday morning toilet experience?”

This question coming from a “spitfire” conjures up all sorts of images. :rofl: Some of them I’m too frightened to even contemplate. :innocent: :laughing:

feeling kweeezy :neutral_face:

True curry veterans fear not the toilet experience
well ard!!!

We’ll be making a beef phal next week and this one is going to be a mega hottie :fire::fire::fire::hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper:

1 Like

Embrace the Delhi Belly!!

1 Like

School dinner curry

2 Likes

I think this whole debate is nicely summed up by one chef in the articles shared in the opening post: “Chef Ranveer said: “I totally agree that this debate is just a waste of time. If you know your food and are confident about it, it doesn’t really matter what people call it.”
My favourite curries are, in no particular order, chicken jalfreezi, thai green curry, and japanese katsu curry. And any dish that uses tamarind. My question is whether a spicy north african tagine can be called a curry?

1 Like

And what was wrong with that, If you were lucky you’d get the same again at home from a Vesta packet, I could forgive the occasional raisin :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Happy memories!

2 Likes

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

3 Likes

And Angel Delight for pudding :innocent:

2 Likes

If you insist:

:grin:

1 Like

I used to like Vesta meals, my favourite was the Paella (sp?). Vesta learned from the Strand cigarette debacle and their meals were labelled as being for two even thought there was clearly only enough for one person - apparently it made the purchaser feel less of a loser.

(For some reason I think I posted this in the wrong thread.)

2 Likes