CSIRO Identifies Seven Megatrends that will affect our future

Actually, you are correct in that they don’t have seeds (coconut or otherwise). I didn’t know they were called windmill palms either. (I was just kidding with chillieboot about the coconuts.)

I’ll see if I can dig out a photo or google something. :blush:

@Bruce , l didnt say you did Brucy ??
I merely stated what seeds are ??:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::grin:??

I know you were kidding, I was kidding too :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s OK Assman you can stop squirming now.

This gives more info :+1:

Which of the Mega trends Identified by the CSIRO are they?

1 Like

Have I derailed again?..:face_with_hand_over_mouth: I do apologise, Bruce I can see Climate change being a huge problem actually…because food will be affected by the weather, as will adeqate housing, so to me anyway…thats the biggest fear.

I will point out that a Chusan Palm is just another name for a Windmill Palm

1 Like

What are the other 4?

Here’s a Venn diagram

All the details are in the link posted above

1 Like

Here’s a bit more about it in one of our papers

1 Like

Where are:

Read it here:

So, your three examples are nothing to do with the report … :017:

To keep pace with technological change, the report says Australia will need another 6.5 million digital workers by 2025 – an increase of 79 per cent from 2020

Presumably, most of those will be Chinese.

Nothing new though same problems different names.

1 Like

If you’d bothered to read the report you would know that they were.

Perhaps you should stick to articles about Boris Johnson.

and there’s me thinking this was going to be a really interesting thread of discussions - perhaps it is all too much in one mouthful as my old granny used to say. Perhaps if we took each of the seven megatrends one by one - it would be simpler to focus on and get us going? but just having a quick squizzy at the doco - I think it is a tome to choke on and is too much to take in in one meal - this needs global collaborations and discussions of a magnitude we have not yet seen. It would be an immense challenge and some may faulter along the way? - there is one megatrend that perhaps they have omitted ? - the ability of all of humankind to deal with catastrophic changes for themselves ; the families and others in the world populations so that no one is left out??

Limpets are tasty. If you like Cockles and Mussels you will like Limpets. Just be sure to harvest them from a sewage free beach! Crayfish are yummy.

Didn’t realise you needed a permit to harvest shellfish. Last time I was home (Eire) we just went to the nearest beach and filled small buckets with them.

I agree about seaweed - love Laver bread, samphire, Dilisk/Dulse, and Bladderwrack. Word of warning though - most seaweed has a high Iodine content so anyone having thyroid problems should not eat too much as it can affect their medication.

1 Like

I don’t believe you need a permit to gather shellfish on a non commercial basis. Signal crayfish are a different matter, if you don’t have a permit from the EA you could receive a two grand fine!

I’d be happier eating limpets than mussels, limpets are grazers while bivalves filter all kinds of horrors through their systems… as you say it’s defo a case of finding a sewage free beach, easier said than done and I don’t suppose the situation is going to improve:-(

And marsh samphire, delicious I’ve nibbled on it raw, so zingy and salty!