Cruising off the Agenda?

It sounds more boring on a cruise where every thing is laid on for you every single day. How can you get to know a country when you are only allocated a certain number of hours there.?

Our holidays are planned by us when we have arrived in that country. We arrange what we want to do and where we want to go … seeing something different every day, even visiting any nearby countries. We are never shut in our hotel, even on the rare rainy day, in fact we spend very little time in the hotel.

It depends how adventurous you are I suppose, some people prefer to have everything laid on for them.

Ships?
I quite liked the Icebreakers…

Dont you remember the old song Realspeed !

I joined the navy, to see the world!

And what did l see?
I saw the sea !
I saw the atlantic and the pacific!
But the atlantic wasnt romantic
And the pacific wasnt terrific
Etc! Etc! Etc!

Donkeyman!

Why would it be raining? I wouldn’t be a hotel in Cleethorpes.

We have been on quite a few ‘tours’ and plenty of holidays in one place and I have found that the best way to really know a place is to stay put, take time out from all the rushing around and just sit, taking in the surroundings. Seeing too many places in a short space of time all just blends into one.

The main cause of the COVID spread, apparently.

:023: totally agree LD!

Cruise ships were just floating Butlins resorts for old people that just became giant metal petri dishes as well. Crammed in with too many people and force-fed “entertainment” best suited to the last Century. You couldn’t have payed me to take a cruise before Covid-19 and nobody with a brain cell would go on one now. Scrap them, because it’s just good metal going to waste.

I would imagine that a cruise ship would be the ultimate in protection from Covid, providing everyone tests negative and not allowed to leave the ship after cast off.

What a wonderful way to observe isolation in such a large bubble…:smiley: Better that sitting it out at home watching box sets…:cool:

I believe there was a captain of a cruise ship who sailed around the world and managed to keep all of his passengers safe from the virus during the worst times. He was hailed a hero when they finally docked in Italy…:038:

you have been on one then? obviously no, so how on earth can you comment on something you know absolutely nothing about?
go on one first, get first hand expereience,( plenty of women looking for a man by the way on a cruise ship), then comment

Agreed … :023:

To be honest i really wouldn’t mind trying a cruise . I really fancy the Fjords and a med cruise.

I believe the entertainment on board is really good.

I’m up for trying one funds permitting and of course covid-19 permitting.

If I recall it was an adventure sailing boat forkids.

there was a documentary on cruise ships and the spread of the virus and the ship owners. Their reluctance to cancel cruises and greed are blamed for the rapid spread of COVID.

I have been on a cruise and it was better than I expected. It did remind me a bit of Butlins but with a lot less to do. I was with a large party of my kids and their friends celebrating their 30th birthdays which made it better I suspect. Those with children were very pleased with the trip as it was a very cheap holiday where the kids were looked after. Personally I drank and ate a lot.

It was the first and last time I went on a cruise, I haven’t felt the need to go on another.

Here is the whole thing in 45 seconds

we did the Fjords recently,the scenery is stunning and well worth going. We went with P&O. Best to go on a smaller ship which can go further into the Fjords

the ship we were on

https://i.imgur.com/qs8N1DQ.jpg

a trip into the mountains is also a must

definately when possible will go back again and I havn’t said that about many places

I do not fear cruising or flying and only flew when & where my employer (the state) sent me OHMS. Its the people I rubbed shoulders aboard etc with that I found a 100% turn-off. Now aboard an RAF flight, that was a totally different matter and very interesting people wise :thumbup:

[/B]

You can not be serious Reg…:shock:
There are more passengers flowing from country to country in one hour than all the cruise ship passengers in a whole year!

The ship owners refused to act and therefore infected people were still visiting different ports and countries.

Dont you recall ships being refused entry long before any lockdowns?

There are still many thousands of people stranded on board ships all over the world.

The people stranded on some cruise lines (mainly American) are all crew members. And there are no reports of covid infections of the crews.

It’s a pity flights weren’t targeted as the main cause of the spread of covid until it was too late. The spread of the virus from cruise passengers would have been very low except down under where the frequency of cruise ships was high and most of the passengers had been flown out to meet the ships.

Yes you are right OGF, Flights were the main cause of covid spread
due to the speed of travel, which does not give enough time for
symptoms to appear or be felt before the completion of the trip?
So people were arriving home from infected areas without having
a clue that they were infected?
The fly /cruise format changed that, and cruising became almost
as bad as flying as far as covid spread was concerned??
So it seems we have consensus that excessive travelling comes
with high risks to our society nowadays due to our modern need
for speed and the numbers involved due to high populations ??

Donkeyman!

That’s a failure of Government; cruise ships in Australian waters were told in March to unload passengers, bugger off and don’t come back until we say which at the moment looks like it won’t be until next year at the earliest.

Unfortunately another government department failure led to the Ruby Princess debacle but apart from that and a minor scuffle in WA they went and haven’t been back.