Crossbow shootings Scotland

Yes, it can. My neighbour across the street does that.

I’ve rarely heard anything so damned stupid!

2 Likes

An ordinary bow with arrows can be a lethal weapon too.
Many cats have been killed with a bow.

Only last month, it was reported that a Norwegian man had been found guilty of murder of 5 people and attempted murder of 4 others, after he went on a killing spree with a bow and arrow and a knife last year.
He went armed with 64 arrows, going around the town, firing arrows at people in shops and even in their homes.

The other problem with creating legislation to ban sales or with licensing crossbows and bows is that both types of weapon can be made quite easily as a DIY project, so it would still be difficult to control and monitor who could access these weapons.

Agree, they could be made at home, but sure it would be too difficult for some to make anything from scratch or too lazy to try.

Actually we made them as kids. We had trees and woods to play in. And I know it was naughty but we used to nick lead sheeting to weight the arrows to make them fly straight.

Where do we draw the line?
In front of me as I type is an archery set I bought from a well known sports shop. It comprises of a two piece bow, a target and two arrows with rubber suckers on the tip. I bought an extra arrow (pointy) and had fun with my son using water balloons as targets. We did so safely .

Slingshots are easily available too, I’m sure I’ve still got my Black Widow somewhere in a cupboard, great fun too although I wouldn’t dream of using it on any living creature.

At risk of being a pedant, don’t we shoot an arrow?
My archery instructor at school hated it when people talked about firing a bow :wink:

1 Like

Yes, you’re right - I’ll slap my own wrist for using that term!
It was how it was reported in the press but now you mention it, I realise it is obviously incorrect! :blush:

1 Like

Its not about the tool used…it’s the people. Anyone who thinks to use one of these things, should only get to do so inside a firing range. All tools should only be accessed within the range for the purposes of the intended sport. Nothing like this should be available to buy unless you are the boss of a licensed firing range.

1 Like

Point taken. Knew someone who lost an eye playing darts, it hit the wire and bounced off.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean PixieKnuckles. Are you referring solely to archery?
Anyone over 18 is perfectly entitled to buy and use an airgun in their own garden although there are rules .
For example if a pellet is shot beyond the boundaries of your property then you have broken the law .

I was seriously thinking of buying an air pistol some years ago before I moved to a flat.I had no concerns about safety, I would have set up a back drop to catch any stray pellets, had a friendly chat with my neighbours advising them of my intentions and reassuring them that I’d never shoot when they were in their gardens.

The only reason I didn’t go for it was that if someone in one of the overlooking properties saw me they might have got the wrong idea, I didn’t relish the idea of several police officers leaping over the fence and throwing me to the floor.
Not my Idea of fun at all!

1 Like

You have just proved my point of why these activities should be within designated licensed areas. All that rigmorole and anxiety wouldn’t have existed if you joined a firing range :woman_shrugging: Just sayin’ :smiley:

I felt no anxiety and there was no rigmarole involved at all. I simply thought through the pros and cons and made a decision, albeit a reluctant one.
If I were ever to move somewhere with a suitable garden I wouldn’t hesitate to go for it.

My biggest concern would be the price of a Weihrauch hw45 these days…I dread to look :slight_smile:

I’ve got nothing against clubs, on the contrary I’m all for them, there’s no substitute for qualified instruction.

Just to get this straight, I’m not one of those gun freaks, there’s not a single copy of Guns and Ammo magazine in my place… honest :wink:

. . . . . and their intent.
That’s the important bit.

2 Likes

In Scotland you need a Air Weapon Certificate (AWC) before you can buy or use an air gun.
I’ve just been reading up on this as we might well be moving to Scotland next year.

You can use a airgun in your garden as long as the necessary precautions are taken and that you are granted a license.

Perhaps a similar license will be required in England and Wales in the future, I really don’t know.
I’d have no qualms about paying £72.00 for a five year certificate.

1 Like

You’ll not be using them in the area you mentioned, I’m telling you that right now! :018: They will chase you outta town! :joy:

Interesting, thanks for the heads up!
Who precisely are they?

1 Like

Your neighbours. They won’t take kindly to you knocking on their doors asking if they mind you shooting things in your garden! Think Hycianth Bucket…

Incredible!
You already know my neighbours before I do and I haven’t even moved yet.
How do you do it, tarot cards or tea leaves?

1 Like

Pixie dust of course! :fairy: :joy:

1 Like

I might have known :wink:

1 Like