Cross Stitch by Mrs Mart

Oh these are beautiful, Mart! Your wife is very talented - she makes quilts as well?

Mart, They are truly wonderful. Exquisite even.
Your wife must have great patience as well as talent.

These are beautiful, Mart - as someone who has dabbled in (simple) cross stitching, I can appreciate the effort that has gone into them.

Thanks from herself. :slight_smile:

Quilts, toys, decorations, cards …just lots of things that involve craft handiwork.

The Renoir (Two Sisters On The Terrace) measures 20"x20" and took two years to stitch …but she says that was at a time when she was starting to get into other crafts as well.

Rapunzel

What extraordinary work, Mart! I admire your wife’s work along with the patience and skill it takes to finish those beautiful pieces. It’s lovely that you are so proud of her :-D.

Those are lovely, Mart. They look like the ‘Lavender and Lace’ series?

Mrs Mart must be a very patient person!

That’s amazing, so beautiful! :slight_smile:

They are stunning. R Mar and My Lovely Cousin used to do cross-stitch so I know how difficult and time consuming it is, but what a result.

That’s right Tabbs. The first picture is ‘Queen Anne’s Lace’ by Lavender and Lace.

None of the others shown are but she has done other pictures from the Lavender and Lace series.

Most of the pictures done are either on 14 or 16 count material.

It occurs to me that people might think that the pictures are designed by Mrs mart. Is/was that the thought? Sorry if so. I don’t think many cross stitchers do that.

It’s reading and transferring the pattern to the material, how well it’s done and the carefulness of the stitching that is the skill. There are many colours and subtle shades involved. That’s why the more detailed ones can take months or even years to complete. It’s a skill rather than artistry.

There are computer programs that can turn pictures into DMC (a thread making company) cross stitch patterns. I believe the making of these complicated patterns are computer-aided. This is the paper pattern that has to be worked with…

Just thought I should say this. :slight_smile:

This is an early picture stitched in 1994. Made as a present for me because Pluto is my favourite cartoon character. :slight_smile:

Lovely, Mart. I have the Waterhouse ‘Windflowers’ but have not started it yet. Love pre-raphaelite art.

Here are two of my efforts -

Grommit

Tortie Cat - sorry about the reflection.

They look good. :slight_smile:

It is a job to photograph them once they are framed and behind reflective glass. I found the best way is to lay them on the floor so that the only reflection is the ceiling (no individual objects to reflect).

Thanks for the tip!:smiley:

These were made as a pair, each one measuring 14" x 14" without the mounting and frames. It’s been a while since they were made (2004), so not sure what the kits are called. Butterfly Fairies?

Those are simply gorgeous!

I came across this on Ebay. Quite a price but considering the hours that have gone into it, maybe not. I wonder if it will sell?

Is that what they are worth once completed?? Oh my word, I had no idea! But then, its handcrafted so yes, I think it will sell.

I didn’t think they had a commercial value but someone does. That’s it then, they’re coming off the walls and going up for sale!

Just joking, they are all of value to us …and I’d have to get more pictures to fill the spaces left. :slight_smile: