Covid killing 1/2 as many people per day as a bad flu year, brink of becoming 'endemic' after Omicron wave subsides

Heh! :slight_smile: the thread also relates to mental health in that it encompasses the psychology of illness so not off topic to discuss this. Covid has resulted in many psychological reactions and has very much affected those who may otherwise never have ended up having a crisis. The anxiety alone is enough to send the usually mentally healthy over the edge, particularly in 2020.

You have patients who may end up on a mental health unit where the staff are also developing anxiety because of the fear generated by the situation and reported deaths, risks etc. Now we are being eased towards “endemic” the new buzzword you never knew you would ever need to use. So it seems people are being constantly flipped between anxiety, relaxation back to anxiety and then into what appears to be a limbo of what happens next.

1 Like

We were talking about this just a couple of weeks ago with friends. A whole generation of children shaped by covid anxiety. The fear of contact, the lost connections with peers. It will be interesting how this formative revolution shapes the society of the future some of us will live to see.

I can only judge by my own grandchildren they seem totally unfazed by wearing masks taking tests and show no anxiety about avoiding places.

It’s been normalised but it’s a big change in child development when experiencing social contact. Communication is very much about facial gestures and that includes the mouth to a large degree. There are no smiles in masks. Kids do accept things because they have nothing to compare it with, but it will be interesting to see the long term effects on their mindset as adults.

They don’t wear masks outside so they can still see facial expressions .
However the disruption in education will undoubtably affect them adversely.

As long as they leave school being able to read, write and do their twelve times tables, what else do they need to know…It never did me any harm…
:sunglasses:

Emmmmm……

Annie I agree with the comments in the article. They always said that a weaker variant would one day become the dominant one and I feel we are now at that point.

1 Like