Could living abroad be achieved financially?

The reality about moving to live in another country is the younger you do it the more likely you are to settle to it.
Older people manage it better if they have few ties such as family or friends.
Moving abroad separates you from others both geographically and emotionally no matter how hard you try to stay in touch.
You need to ask yourself if that is something you can live with well before doing it.

I would love to be really rich and have houses all over the place not just normal houses I mean luxurious ones with gorgeous views and swimming pools big enough for everyone to come visit.

Iā€™ve always had ideas above my station but a girl can dream :slight_smile:

How and why has it? We havenā€™t left the EU yet.

But the pound has dropped compared with the Euro. Lots of people will be feeling that.

Of course, didnā€™t think of that.

I believe that there is an agreement with Canada protecting UK pensions. Great health care here, reasonable rent or home prices in some very affordable places.

I did just that because I have few ties here So was seriously considering moving to live in Southern Spain .
I realised eventually all that glitters isnā€™t gold and that I simply wouldnā€™t be able to cope with summertime temperatures there .

We lived in Costa Rica for a trial period a few years back and it really is cheaper than in other countries

had some great cigars from there!

I retired to The Philippines in 2005. Very, very very inexpensive. 3 bedroom apt only $170 USD/month. If you run the Aircon a great amount it will cost another $100 USD/month.

Many Brits and Aussies living there. Mostly single men. Not for everyone however. An adventurous spirit is required.

and an avoidance of getting hitched to a local I warrant??

Some do. Some donā€™t. Some like the freedom.

I know a lot of men who married Filipinos
They get a young pretty wife but she generally comes with a large family who will bludgeon off him as long as his money lasts out.

An option Iā€™m considering is a huge downsize - probably an apartment here, then super-long holidays abroadā€¦ following the sun!

Surely with all this talk of Brexit and falling property prices there will be some very attractive rentals, maybe thatā€™s the way to go?

Take a long term rental and rent out your property in the UK to fund it. That way you always have the option to return without the fear of not being able to get back on the property ladder here.

Hi

The problem with that is exchange rate uncertainty if you are relying on UK Earnings and Pensions.

It does cound attractive, but perhaps better to wait and see where we end up when we know what the final deal is.

If things go badly you could also end up paying tax in both countries.

Is that the ever lovinā€™ truth. I had two Filipina wives and both of them were gold diggers. They thought I was was walking ATM cash machine. When a guy marries a Filipina, he is expected to take care of the entire extended family. I didnā€™t do that and they made my life a living hell.

yep my son is goin through the same process with a Thai wife! - all that glitters IS gold on this occasion?

An ex colleague of mine had a Thai wife and she literally dumped him just months after she arrived in England. She well and truly fleeced him.

I know a woman who moved to Berlin a few years ago and she raves about how brilliant it is but she comes home regularly every few months and many of us think she does so to get free NHS treatment.

I know several people who have moved to France but that wouldnt appeal to me. I also know a couple who have moved to Mainland Spain. They also come home at regular intervals and I cant quite work that out either because all they talk about is how wonderful their new life is.