COP26: Has the Glasgow climate summit been poorly organised?

Thousands of delegates from across the world are attending the summit - but the vast majority of them have to use a single entrance to the site, which is officially UN territory for the duration of COP26.

When people do finally make it to the front of the queue they have to go through an accreditation process, including ID checks and proof of a negative Covid test, before they are allowed through the turnstiles into the restricted Blue Zone.

This led to people facing long waits in heavy rain and strong winds on Monday morning - with no protection from the elements being provided by organisers - with the scene being described as “utter chaos” by some of those who were there .And videos appeared to show some people squabbling and pushing forward in an attempt to gain entry, with security stuff struggling to control them.

Public health expert Prof Devi Sridhar of Edinburgh University said the huge queues of people waiting to get in were “really concerning” amid the Covid pandemic, with case numbers in Scotland already showing early signs of increasing again.

• well no surprise there then :roll_eyes:
1 Like

Blimey … that’s not just shambolic … it’s a disaster zone … :scream_cat:

1 Like

I would expect nothing else but shambles.

1 Like

I feel quite ashamed actually. The eyes of the world are on us here in Scotland, they have had an entire year to organise this (if not longer) - and yes, I realise things are made more difficult due to Covid restrictions, but for goodness sake…this is beyond ludicrous! :angry: We’ll be back in lockdown before Christmas, you wait and see.

Catastrophe, crisis, blame the climate.

1 Like

It looks like it’s a good thing that the organisers did not organise a few tipples in one of Scotlands distilleries. As it looks like they may not have been up to it.

1 Like