Cooking for One Only!

For those who mainly cook for one, then there is a nice read from Wendy HobsonšŸ‘‡

2 Likes

thanks Pauline ā€˜weā€™ thought that we had lost you for ever and ever - so relieved to see you back again - how is Basingstoke these days?

that looks good too! yes we need to be more adventurous and not just stick to cheese on toast!!

1 Like

today I resorted to my favourite recipe - chicken chunks fried in the wok with one full sliced onion - asian sauces both dry and wet added plus a teaspoon of salt.

handfuls of mixed vegies added also and finally any kind of noodle you fancy - stir fry until all cooked and serve for one - add asian sauces as reqd

I did cook some sweet potatoes - boiled the other day but forgot they were boiling till the well ran dry and they have turned out edible but very soggy - must try not to be forgetful when the gas stove is on [using a small camp one atm - that is another story - so it donā€™t take long for da gas to degas!]

coffee - always start the day with a black one with sweeteners only. My son buys them in bulk supplies and then flashes a few over to me! - use in any kind of coffee preparation mode - but being poor and simple I just jack a tablespoon into a large mug and pour on boiling water add sweetners to taste and allow to settle - you do get a sludge eventually in the bottom. I dropped in the OAP centre the other day for breakie - and had one of theirs - yuk and a coffee out of a jar yuk see wot I mean - the breakie was bacon - scrabbled egg [tasteless] ; fried tomato -canā€™t spoil that heh!] the rest was just mush I think - cannot stand Butlins style meals!!

1. A meal for half a week!! - minced turkey lightly fried with cooke prawns added in the wok

2. add de-frosted mixed vegies after turkey fully cooked - continue mixing with turkey and prawns

3. prepare dried noodles by soaking in boiled water then sieved in colinder and added to above and slowly mixed in large wok

4. add favorite spices to suit

store surplus in sealed receptacle in fridge

1 Like

Sounds tasty!

Cheapo pea and ham soup

I use one can of Asda Smartprice mushy peas , one decent quality ham stock cube and seasoning.

Simply add the peas to a small saucepan, add the stock with your desired seasoning and give it a quick blitz with a stick blender as it heats.

The trick is adding the right amount off stock, much depends on personal preference, I donā€™t like my pea and ham soup to be too runny.

that sounds interesting and will eventually give it a try - hereā€™s something similar but with rice that I saw in the guardian paper on line:

Rice dishes alone that will amaze you!

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ thanks gumbud!
Those rice balls look interesting :+1:

Hi

Really enjoying this thread, lots of new things.

I enjoy cooking, however now I am on a low potassium diet I am having to ditch a lot of my favourites and learn new ones.

That sounds like a bit of a minefield swimfeeders.
This may be a silly question but how do you acertain how much potassium is in a meal, do you have to take each and every ingredient into consideration and do a Google before totting it all up?

Hi

You have to look hard, but the info is available, but mostly American, so you have to convert ounces and cups to gms.

The cookbooks and online recipes show the total amount of potassium per serving and there are tables showing the amount of potassium in types of fruits, vegetables and common things like ketchup.

It is all complicated in that I am also on a low fat diet,.

I do have one meal a week where I just eat what I want, within reason.

Wow!

That shows just how easy it is to take things for granted.

Arenā€™t you seeing an NHS dietician for this?

This may contain some handy info for you:

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for that Mups, yes, I use that and others.

Locally there is a long waiting list for NHS Dietician referrals.

My local NHS Trust is in special measures and has over 600 vacancies.

My GP told me yesterday that they have to wait 12 to 15 weeks for the results of an outpatient CT Scan.

finishing my last bowl of turkey mince/small already cooked prawns/mixed vegies from individual packs/noodles soaked in boiling water and drained

add salt to season on each dish served and a nice sweet asian sauce of your choice. Tomorrow will continue the recipe with pork mince instead - I can feel the urge for my more spicy bechalan ; large prawns and small runner beans and good hot pure chillie paste - will post the full instructions when I start that one! - its a bit messy to prepare but the taste is very distinct and quite different from the rest - [ are bechalan [prawn] paste cubes available in blighty? - they come in sealed foils and carboard package? and have the recipe on the package

Jamie Oliver doing a new TV show one pan dishes on Channel4 at 8.30pm I am going to watch one pan dishes can always be ā€œportioned downā€

2 Likes

now another variation - like this one throw anything in!

this time: [in a large wok preferably]
chopped sausages x 3/4 - small one bites - canā€™t remember what kind now?
pork mince - 500 gms
two onions sliced
all first cooked in 6 tablespoons of oil almost

meanwhile - broken dry noodles into bowl - add 3 pkts or more of frozen mixed vegies - pour on boiling water to cover - let steam

finish cooking meat then drain noodles and vegies and
Add to meat and on low heat mix all ingredients- let simmer for a while but almoset ready to eat really
add extra salt if needed and asian sauce sprinkled

that dish makes about six full size plated meals - store in fridge not freezer