Convenience foods are making us fat for ever?

I bet peeps here do eat processed foods not realising it’s processed , sausages, bacon, ham. pate, salami.,corned beef.all processed

1 Like

I never eat pork so am safe from all those evils .
But do eat fish so am probably full of mercury.:frowning:

After my first heart attack I asked the dietician what foods should I avoid after I left hospital.
She listed the usual suspects, salt, sat fats and processed foods, and should only be eaten very occasionally, but by far and away the food to be avoided the most was sausages…I have never eat them since.
I must admit to eating ham regularly, bacon when away on holiday (the fry up breakfast) and corned beef when the fancy takes me.
My downfall is sugar and sweet stuff…

1 Like

Oh come on Ripple, Isn’t that just a tad condescending?
I celebrate eating junk food, salted peanuts, olives in brine , chorizo to name but a few… I don’t scoff on them seven days a week I hasten to add :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m going to filled with remorse when I tuck in to the sachet of Angel Delight I picked up in Asda on Thursday :wink:

1 Like

:joy: No I’d say was being extremely humble vegetarian.
Enjoy your Angel delight, I’m sure the remorse won’t last for long

1 Like

I hope you’ve made a good recovery :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The remorse will pass, the guilt will linger.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

Thanks Ripple…About as good as I would expect for a 72 year old sugar junkie…Still jogging though…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

On the rare occasion where I bought a burger I would often ask them for “a kiddie-burger”

There was no such thing of course.
I’m nearing 80, they knew what I meant and would provide their most basic offering which was all I needed / wanted ( together witb a coffee ) :yum:

1 Like

Hi Muddy, but with respect the quality of our life towards the end of that jouney can be markedly influenced by WHAT we eat.

1 Like

I expect so but it’s probably more the amount we eat as well as lifestyle.
We need smaller plates !
My grandmother lived until 93 she never owned a fridge in her long life .
She shopped nearly every day walking to the shops .
I never saw her eat fruit but she ate like a bird small amounts of fresh meat and veg .
Until the very last days of her life she had never been in a hospital other than as a visitor .
She had lived most of her life in poverty but was always of a cheery positive disposition.
She drank a tot of whisky every evening .
[ for medicinal purposes only :grinning:)

1 Like

Yes, definitely Muddy - the amount & smaller plates. Many Westerners are simply pigs when it comes to food if they’d only care to admit it.

My wife was Asian born, when she was alive and early in her time in this country we went on a weekend camping trip with a group of maybe 50 people.

Lovely folk but oh what pigs some were ( men mainly ) when it came to food.
My wife turned to me at one point in horror & disgust asking "Is that one person alone going to eat that enormous piece of steak??? "

In fairness & in truth sadly I had to answer “YES !”

That one piece of steak looked like half a cow had been cooked and thrown onto the guy’s already HUGE elliptical plate. I knew damned well that it could EASILY have fed a dozen adults where my wife had lived. And I am NOT exaggerating - despite what you may think.

Again sadly this sort of behaviour does not stop at just a piece of steak.
I’ve watched people when out eating, especially at self serve places with PYRAMIDS or MOUNTAINS of food stacked so high it was simply DISGUSTING to watch.

2 Likes

We have visited a lot of carvery’s over the years and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of food some people (again mainly men but a few women also) can pile on their plate just because it’s free. I wouldn’t thank you for a big portion, I only take what I know I will enjoy and be able to finish. The amount of food that is left on some plates is stupid and wasteful…
Eyes bigger than their belly’s springs to mind…
:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Exactly Foxy … some people seem to feel cheated if they can’t absolutely stuff themselves silly rather than savour and enjoy.

Conversely when I work in hospitality there are those who make a point of asking not to be served too much.

Different strokes and all that.

1 Like

I sometimes go to a Chinese buffet and it’s the name people pile their plate even though they can go up as many times as they like .
To such an extent that there is a notice up saying please don’t waste food .

1 Like

In a word… gluttony.

1 Like

Yup, I think huge portions are the problem as much as convenience foods

I think it’s a reaction from rationing. Since then we’ve seen all you can eat buffets, carverys, supersized meals………the lot

And we expect huge portions for our money, the bigger the better

The thing is, it’s not the cost of the amount of food they provide that costs eating outlets the money, it’s their other overheads so if they can attract people in with big portions, they will

At home I remember our dining plates were much smaller than todays .
Mum made a tiny joint stretch somehow .

1 Like

Ultimately it’s a matter of choice…if people choose to eat bucket loads of crap then it’s up them.
Who am I to judge?

Chorizo for us tonight… nicely and gently fried in extra virgin olive oil.

Incidentally, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone raid the salad bar at a Harvester Restaurant :wink:

1 Like