Convenience foods are making us fat for ever?

a pilot study by a UK doc is show disturbing results. It involved him using himself as a guinea pig and travelling to South America to study obesity in children there too.
He presented his initial findings on a program called “What are we feeding our kids?” His own result showed significant increase in weight over a period of time but also permanent biochemical changes in his brain that would prompt him to continue eating ‘junk food’ I watched this as an ABC presentation in oz and you may have seen it already but it is highly disturbing with the food giants denying culpability of course? If anyone can add a Uk link it would be good

2 Likes

Here’s a trailer from BBC News on youtube.

I agree with the Doctor, we don’t buy processed food or burgers, hot dogs etc. the only time we might have a burger is only if we have a BQ, we only eat fresh food and vegetables.

1 Like

I’m a veggie and at times have to put thought into what I’m eating.

I believe it’s the amount people eat …extra large portions.

After all burgers are ground beef, nobody would would worry about eating a cottage pie!
It’s the massive size of a burger quarter pounders
or more :crazy_face: …often they are eaten between meals as a snack.

1 Like

Changing your brain to want more sounds a bit sci fi to me, though? and you’d need a lot more evidence than one bloke

Is this him?

I think this bit is important

“UPF foods are usually cheaper and we know that people eat the food that they can afford to eat”

I wasn’t sure what counted as UPC but this on the BBC is good guide with a few surprises!

Commercial bread, yoghurt with sweeteners or flavours, cheese, vegan milk and meat substitutes, all UPC :scream:

1 Like

You’d have to eat a TON of fruits and vegetables to get full without any of those or any other processed food, especially for a vegetarian or a vegan.

2 Likes

When you have very little money, sometimes all that matters is that no one goes to bed hungry :frowning: Been there, done that

4 Likes

I think sometimes people look down their noses at certain foods while eating things that are just as bad for you!

Burgers and shepherds, both made with mince.

But if you add stock cubes to your shepherds, and butter and salt in the mash, then you’ve made your own UPC meal, whereas a burger made from just meat and grilled, not so much so!

3 Likes

Same here, Susie. The only ‘convenience’ food I eat is whatever I make myself - including burgers. I like to know what is in my food.

I do buy certain foods for convenience. I buy frozen vegetables , frozen pizza , ice cream .cookies
Also baked beans , cans sweetcorn & chickpeas it’s just convenient its handy to have.
All sorts of foods I don’t make from fresh like coleslaw mayo ketchup & bread.

Ah … I do hold my hands up to buying those - had not apprecited that the article included them.

Those I do make myself when needed

that’s he!!

None of us are getting out of here alive whatever we eat !

2 Likes

I am terrible for looking at other peoples shopping trolleys,and i am amazed how many elderly people “over 70s” buy ready made meals,and not just the odd one,one couple had over 12 in the trolley.
I tried one once aftera long journey and for convenience ,never again it tasted of monosodium glutamate and pretty much little else.
I think if you ate that type of rubbish everyday your health wil suffer.
I make all of my own meals,burgers/cottage pies/steak and ale pies/Bolognese and so on.
The majorirty of obese young people and children i see never ceases to shock me.
And these meal deals for heavens sake it takes less that 5 minutes to make up a sandwich for lunch,ohhh i best stop there,but you get the drift.

That can be true, yes. They will only eat this or that, but then have a fag or hit the booze.

4 Likes

Convenience foods are just that convenient.
Older people living alone might not want to be bothered cooking for one .
As someone who hates cooking with a passion I don’t see any great virtue in making one’s own .
If it suits you fine if it’s doesn’t and you have already reached your seventies you must be fairly healthy already .

1 Like

I have a friend who is a ‘Born Again Slimming Word Disciple’ - she regularly does a raid on Food Warehouse (aka Iceland) and stocks up with SW ready meals - tries to encourage me to do the same. Have you ever read the list of ingredients in those things? And the cost of eating them everyday - sometimes twice a day??

Ever since she began eating nothing else but them - she has been unwell. Yes - she is losing weight - but she constantly has the sniffles, aches and pains, and feels tired all the time. Her cheeks have sunk in and her boobs have slipped down to her waistline - not a good look!

2 Likes

I don’t think these meals provide adequate nutrition at all, to be honest. Your friend sounds like she needs a good meal of protein & veg. Losing weight because it’s healthier for you is one thing, but starving your body of vitamins and depleting your immune system is another :frowning_face: Is she taking any supplements?

No - she is not, Pixie, and she is not exercising either - but she is one of those who knows it all and won’t accept advice - even though she knows I have done courses in Understanding Nutrition at college. Slimming World rules her life.

2 Likes

Oh slimming world, it’s like a cult, isn’t it :rofl:

A woman at work does it and all can say is watch out if your friend ever starts doing SW cooking and wants to try out their recipes on you

My colleague brings in some of the truly most disgusting things I’ve ever tasted :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

1 Like