Conservative conference: UK in period of adjustment after Brexit, says PM

He forgot to mention that higher wages will lead to a higher cost of living. Cheap labour is what has kept our food etc at such a competitive price.

There was an FT article this weekend confirming that most of our Christmas turkeys will be from France & Poland because of this mess. Pity Marr didn’t ask the PM about that.

1 Like

Perhaps there wasn’t time to cover the full extent of BJ’s economic shambles … :neutral_face:

BJ, of course, will be spending Xmas at Chequers - I don’t think the cost or availability of turkeys will be a problem there …:wink:

:turkey:

IMHO it looks more like talk of pigs has turned to talk of bull with a more than a hint of added eau de rat.

It’s almost as if there’s some sort of conspiracy with supposed threatened profits in the offing for disgruntled major producers of certain things and even a desire by these same major producers to carry on importing cheaper labour, but I’m sure that our major money-grabbers businesses wouldn’t really dream of doing such thing.

1 Like

And, ultimately, raging inflation.

Agreed, but it has also left us with a lack of suitably trained Brits because a) we aren’t prepared to work for peanuts, b) company owners weren’t (still aren’t) prepared to pay for training, c) East Europeans have decided to stay in Europe because the pay is better.

Personally, I couldn’t give a damn because I don’t eat turkey, I find it very dry and virtually tasteless.

Agreed. Like said just above, it’s time our businesses started paying decent wages and for proper training.

1 Like

Wages are just currency.

We just watch the value of the pound float to a different level and all those who thought they were higher paid realise that they are back where they started.

i.e. if wages go up 10%, and prices in the shops go up to match that, what have you got?

Sadly some don’t get the increase!

It’s a win win in terms of low food/product costs. For example we outsource to China and other countries because people simply do not want to buy products at higher prices. Ultimately it’s all like a pyramid scheme because eventually you end up with an economy that has zero real value. But a whole generation can have a good life in the meantime before the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

East Europeans that left have done so because of Brexit conditions rather than pay. Those that can have settled or pre settled status. They came here and stayed because they loved the UK. I’m none too sure what people had against them being here. Hard workers and mostly not troublesome.

yes there is just one pie. Labour and training are input costs for goods and services. If they increase then the prices of goods increase. If people then don’t buy those goods because they are too expensive then businesses will fold. I am not sure how businesses keep going in the current environment. Many were kept afloat by furlow. But what now?

That isn’t what happens though is it? Wage increases are tied to productivity or at least they are in this country.

For example the local steel works in 1980 employed 23000 people to produce a given amount of steel, that same steel works now employs 4000 people to produce many times as much steel. Those workers earn extremely high award wages.

One thing I could not not understand in the UK was the pricing system, food in the supermarket was cheaper than here yet food in a restaurant was far more expensive. This even applied to fast food - I was paying twice as much for a burger at Maccas in the UK as in Australia. Even more puzzling was the fact that our wages are far higher too

It was noticeable that most wait staff were Eastern European and presumably on low wages yet the meals ridiculously expensive

There is far more to this that just wages.

Yes, Immigration is an interesting factor.

Always has been, in my memory, as the Employers love it and the public, well, not very much.

I don’t remember a trade union chasing the Government over immigration.

Surprising, really? Even as the Europeans were taking so many of the lower paid roles, (driving, etc.?) where were the Unions?

Yes, but the low wages were supposed to be compensated for by the tips.

On top of the already expensive meal?

Its all gobbledegook

Its all gobbledegook, just disregard it. :biking_man:

On top of any price meal.