Commuters are now Half Pre-Pandemic Numbers

According to Sydney Trains the number of commuters on the South Coast line are now 50% of what they were.pre pandemic when there were 800,000 commuters a month now it is only 400,000.

This has been attributed to the trend of working from home.

Anecdotally I have observed this to be true, The car park at my local railway station was always full to overflowing by 7am prior to the pandemic, since the pandemic I have never seen it full usually only half full, occasionally three quarters full.

The Commonwealth Bank is cracking down on working from home by saying 50% of an employees time must be spent in the office, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

1 Like

I’m not surprised at all whatsoever of this trend.

Firstly, many enjoyed the benefits of staying home and finally having the chance to balance work and raising their children themselves.

Secondly, the train companies (here in UK) have put up their prices so high that the average jobs salaries couldn’t cope with making ends meet.

So, overall many are now enjoying the savings of no payments for babysitting; commuting (either trains, buses or cars – the latter is the petrol costs); food savings (cutting out the coffee shops morning rituals, mega savings) many people I know just got a good machine for speciality coffees made at home.

I hear that not all government offices have reopened yet, as reducing sizes and increasing space amongst desks is still an ongoing issue.

PS, I wonder how India’s trains overcrowding is fairing during and after the Pandemic and now the realisations of having to live with Covid!