Climber, 82, close to completing epic Munro challenge

Nick Gardner, from Gairloch, in the Highlands, was devastated when Janet developed Alzheimer’s and osteoporosis.

The grandfather-of-four said he wanted something to keep him going.

He set off on his epic quest in July 2020, three months after his 80th birthday.

Two years on Mr Gardner only has eight Munros left to bag.

He said: "When Janet went into care it absolutely shattered me.

"We were incredibly close as a couple, she was the most wonderful and caring wife, mother and grandmother possible, and now she doesn’t recognise me.

“I was heading into some mental condition, so I thought I have to get myself a challenge, to pull me out.”

• This is incredible and so touching. :smiley:
3 Likes

I love this! So inspiring. :person_climbing:

1 Like

It is…just goes to show what can be done at any age if you have the determination and ability! :+1:

1 Like

Right! I love this video of this 94 year old (in 2020) gymnast.

2 Likes

My word, that’s impressive! So graceful :smiley:

1 Like

Well done that man! :clap:

1 Like

Mr Gardner has now climbed more than 500,000ft (152,000m), the equivalent of climbing Mount Everest about 17 times.

He has walked 2,000 miles (3,218 km), a similar distance to hiking from Edinburgh to Greece.

I’ve done the mileage but I’ve done nowhere near the height so I applaud Nick’s landmark achievement … :038:

1 Like

I may have done the mileage…over years months some time, but I haven’t done the height and wouldn’t want to really…its a bit high :astonished:

1 Like

Indeed! What a man. That’s the Scots for you! My cousin, another Scot of course, has done his 100th marathon. Mind you he is only 65!

3 Likes

Oh he’s only a young’un! Amazing feat all the same. I love how older people keep up their fitness - or indeed even start a fitness regime in their middle years

(was going to link something interesting but it’s off topic…note to self: Do Not Derail)

1 Like

Keep Running Up That Hill (and down again) … :wink:

1 Like

heh! Its a slow meander in this heat, let me tell you! :joy:

1 Like

Kudos to Nick Gardner Malcom Munro climber extraordinaire, what a man.

I don’t mind going up hill it’s the coming down I don’t like

2 Likes

Yes, coming down takes a bit of work. The key is to edge down with the side of your foot, not straight down forward like you walk on a street. Side steps…it balances you differently (apparently)

2 Likes

is that our own Foxy man?

2 Likes

Downhill Running!

2 Likes

Er…:scream: That looks really scary…Mist and everything!

Oh its ok, Ripple…apparently it can be done - although sure as eggs are eggs, it wouldn’t be me!

1 Like

That’s given me the heebie jeebies :open_mouth:

1 Like